Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • christmastime
    • By christmastime 2nd Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    christmastime
    anny good basic bank accounts with a debit card which you can use outside the uk?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    anny good basic bank accounts with a debit card which you can use outside the uk? 2nd Dec 17 at 1:36 PM
    thanks, I was thinking barclays? can anyone confirm how difficult it is to get a barclays basic account? thanks
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 2nd Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    18cc
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    Not sure if you would be accepted but if you want to use debit card outside the UK look at Starling Bank (apply and manage the account on the App)
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 2nd Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    Would you prefer a prepaid card or a debit card?

Basic accounts are only given to those who don't qualify for the standard account. How has your credit history been over the last 6 years, as this will determine which one you're offered.

If you have a CIFAS marker against you, you will struggle to get anything.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • christmastime
    • By christmastime 2nd Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    christmastime
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    whats a cifas marker....
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    and its pretty bad.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 2nd Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    and its pretty bad.
    Originally posted by christmastime
    It's all to do with fraud prevention. This page gives an outline: https://www.uk.equifax.com/publicsectorgateway/webapp/online-help/CIFAS.htm. Obviously not all categories would be a problem, but you can see which ones would cause a problem in terms of future applications.

This article outlines the prepaid cards on offer: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

And a section on debit cards: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#debit

With a poor credit history you'll want to pick something that doesn't require a credit check. Basic accounts are fee free but I couldn't find anything about the use of a Barclays one outside the UK.
    Last edited by Kim_13; 02-12-2017 at 3:51 PM.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    Would you prefer a prepaid card or a debit card?

Basic accounts are only given to those who don't qualify for the standard account. How has your credit history been over the last 6 years, as this will determine which one you're offered.

If you have a CIFAS marker against you, you will struggle to get anything.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Not true: Depends of the context and the type of CIFAS registration. For example I have CIFAS protective registration which I applied myself and paid for it. What that means is that in the case of a new credit agreement extra steps will be taken to verify my identity. Probably the best protection against identity theft/fraud there is!

"Marker" is the new MSE word of the moment!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter