Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 2nd Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    • 603Posts
    • 284Thanks
    dunroving
    Split year Scotland/England?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    Split year Scotland/England? 2nd Dec 17 at 1:00 PM
    I plan to move from Scotland to England next year, halfway through the 2018-2019 tax year.

I am used to the idea of split years in UK/Non-UK, as I moved between UK and US several times, but this is a within-UK move, albeit between two parts with different income tax rules.

How would this work, in terms of which tax rules would apply when I submit my 2018-2019 tax return?
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    LITRG have a comprehensive guide and it seems to all boils down to where you are resident longest. Not sure what happens in a leap year when it could be 183 days in each country

You'll be watching the forthcoming budget with great interest and calculator to hand

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-basics/what-scottish-rate-income-tax/do-i-have-pay-scottish-income-tax#toc-how-do-i-know-if-i-am-a-scottish-taxpayer-or-not-
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 2nd Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    LITRG have a comprehensive guide and it seems to all boils down to where you are resident longest. Not sure what happens in a leap year when it could be 183 days in each country

You'll be watching the forthcoming budget with great interest and calculator to hand

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-basics/what-scottish-rate-income-tax/do-i-have-pay-scottish-income-tax#toc-how-do-i-know-if-i-am-a-scottish-taxpayer-or-not-
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    Thanks.

According to the HMRC link you gave me, looks like Scotland takes priority in that case: "If you move to or from Scotland in the course of a tax year you’ll be a Scottish taxpayer if you live in Scotland for at least as much of the tax year as you live in any other country in the UK."

I'll almost definitely move before the exact mid-year point, so hopefully will be "English" once again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,234Posts Today

7,418Users online

Martin's Twitter