Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esj13
    • By esj13 2nd Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 29Thanks
    esj13
    Gym membership cancellation
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    Gym membership cancellation 2nd Dec 17 at 12:33 PM
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, please move it if it is.

Last November, I signed up to a gym membership with my local leisure centre for a 12 month contract.
    2 days later I was told that my dad was unwell and 3 weeks after that he died so I ended up not going to the gym.

I finally went in February and I was told that my account was in arrears over £100, but they let me in on that occasion and got my mobile number so that someone could contact me about it.

When I got home, I checked my bank account and the Direct Debit was showing as set up and was in my list of DDs, however a payment had never been taken.
    I did not return to the leisure centre again as my mental health suffered further from the loss of my dad.

I moved out of my old address in October to a completely different town.
    On 1st November the direct debit took £25 from my account and I received an email from the leisure centre saying that this was due to an accounting error and a number of customers had been affected.
    The money was returned 5 days later.

I have since cancelled the DD.

I am now a bit worried that I might be receiving letters at the old address and might end up getting debt collectors on my case.

But as a full 12 months elapsed and they have failed to take payments from me and never contacted me, would they have any right to chase me?
Page 1
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 2nd Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, please move it if it is.

Last November, I signed up to a gym membership with my local leisure centre for a 12 month contract.
    2 days later I was told that my dad was unwell and 3 weeks after that he died so I ended up not going to the gym.

I finally went in February and I was told that my account was in arrears over £100, but they let me in on that occasion and got my mobile number so that someone could contact me about it.

When I got home, I checked my bank account and the Direct Debit was showing as set up and was in my list of DDs, however a payment had never been taken.
    I did not return to the leisure centre again as my mental health suffered further from the loss of my dad.

I moved out of my old address in October to a completely different town.
    On 1st November the direct debit took £25 from my account and I received an email from the leisure centre saying that this was due to an accounting error and a number of customers had been affected.
    The money was returned 5 days later.

I have since cancelled the DD.

I am now a bit worried that I might be receiving letters at the old address and might end up getting debt collectors on my case.

But as a full 12 months elapsed and they have failed to take payments from me and never contacted me, would they have any right to chase me?
    Originally posted by esj13
    You can be chased for the money for 6 years.

Your best chance would have been to approach the gym with some evidence and ask if there was anything they could do for you with regards to allowing a cancellation or reducing your payments.

If you don't resolve the issue, your credit file would be affected if they decide to take enforcement action. Charges can also be added to the debt.

I would also check that your membership wasn't autorenewing, as they could chase you for more than 12 months fees if it is.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • esj13
    • By esj13 2nd Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    esj13
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    You can be chased for the money for 6 years.

Your best chance would have been to approach the gym with some evidence and ask if there was anything they could do for you with regards to allowing a cancellation or reducing your payments.

If you don't resolve the issue, your credit file would be affected if they decide to take enforcement action. Charges can also be added to the debt.

I would also check that your membership wasn't autorenewing, as they could chase you for more than 12 months fees if it is.
    Originally posted by Kim_13

Thanks. Iím going to contact them on Monday as itís clearly an accounting error on their part.
    However I probably could argue with them that they have contacted me about it in 12 months so their lack of action could be attributed to them putting me into financial hardship if they suddenly pop up ďhey this hasnít been paidĒ even though the direct debit was there and I have always had the money there to cover the amount every month.

It was only when I cancelled it that I realised that they will be informed by my bank so may alert them to the fact the account will be £230 in arrears.
    So I will see what they say on Monday.

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,811Users online

Martin's Twitter