Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3,132Posts
    • 4,968Thanks
    another casualty
    Tying up loose ends regarding stopping work and recovering from illness ..
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    Tying up loose ends regarding stopping work and recovering from illness .. 2nd Dec 17 at 12:24 PM
    Howdy !

I have always been in good health , and always employable ...until 2014!
    In 2014 I was Diagnosed with myasthenia gravis . I kept on working through that and had to be admitted to hospital on 2 occasions in 2015. I was still in employment though , but left in November last year to start a new life as Iíd had enough .

Over a year later I have not signed on or claimed any benefits as obviously you get nothing for six months if you quit on your own accord. I have over£15k in my bank account so again , I hear you get nothing . I did not quit through Iíll health btw but I do have a life changing illness . I am hugely overweight due to steroid .

I do want to work part time sometime next year , probably in the spring. You can probably tell that I am old school in my approach . I despise the thought of signing on , and being treated like crap by the gvt and itís subsideries. However , I am probably missing out on my stamp which affects my pension when I retire at 67 in 12 years time.

I need to lose a huge amount of weight before looking for employment . I am a home moaner( small flat ) but am unsure what to do next . Do I go to my doctor ? When do I actually sign on? It has been over a year since my last spell of employment .
    I find all this confusing , as the only time I signed on was 11 years ago. Not enjoyable but I managed to find something within a month .

Please advise

Thanks
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 2nd Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 10,906 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    From previous threads I believe you are single?

The first thing to do is check whether you are in a live service area for Universal Credit (which has gateway conditions) or a full service area which doesn't.

Use this link and come back and tell us.

How much do you currently have in savings?

From what you have said I do not believe that you would be entitled to contribution based benefits so it would be means tested benefits.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Dec 17, 3:30 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:30 PM
    The OP needs to check to see if they have sufficient NI contributions to claim Conts only ESA. Sadly, as they have been surviving off savings for the past year I suspect that they will no longer qualify.
    No help to the OP, but it really is important that people claim as soon as employment ceases, or as soon as they are sick and have no income. When I was working on ESA I had many conversations with people who didn't claim because they had savings. They had worked all their lives and just assumed, totally wrongly, that they would be able to get help further down the track.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 2nd Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    From what you have said I do not believe that you would be entitled to contribution based benefits so it would be means tested benefits.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Reading his post on this thread, I wondered if the OP would have sufficient NI contributions through employment in the last two tax years to claim New Style (Contributions based) ESA.
    Always assuming he can get a fit note.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

I would have thought (unless the OP is certain he doesn't satisfy the NI contribution requirement in 2014/5 and 2015/16) that it might be worth an application this year.
    (As if he delays till 2018 then the relevant tax years move to 2015/16 & 2016/17).

OP - what NI contributions have you made through employment in these tax years. Does it fulfil the criteria in the link above?
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 02-12-2017 at 3:49 PM. Reason: Edit: Cross posted with Tellit01
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    Alice, I agree the OP needs to get an application for ESA in during this month as it is almost certain they won't have the NI contributions once the new tax years kick in.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 2nd Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 10,906 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    Reading his post on this thread, I wondered if the OP would have sufficient NI contributions through employment in the last two tax years to claim New Style (Contributions based) ESA.
    Always assuming he can get a fit note.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

I would have thought (unless the OP is certain he doesn't satisfy the NI contribution requirement in 2014/5 and 2015/16) that it might be worth an application this year.
    (As if he delays till 2018 then the relevant tax years move to 2015/16 & 2016/17).

OP - what NI contributions have you made through employment in these tax years. Does it fulfil the criteria in the link above?
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    Sorry, mixed up my years..

Agree OP should make a claim for new style ESA.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 3rd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    Wow ! Thanks for the input so far . I will look at the links provided later.
    On mobile due to fault in broadband . Yes I am a single male with no children
    I received a cheque from inland revenue of £733.00 do to overpayment of tax. I received this last week.

I have been working with this employer permanently since 2009 ( I was working as a temp for them and other companies previously to this).
    I was working in a permanent job from March 2003-2006 best job ever but then got made redundant in Christmas 2006.
    More info available
    Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 3rd Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    I have just browsed the fit note ( Thanks Alice holt ) . Tbh , I donít think I would have any chance . Not that Iím too proud , but my condition is confusing . Apart from being a fat so and so ( thanks prednisolone ) I donít look too bad . My condition is tiredness related and the there are people in a lot worse state than myself .
    Weíve all heard the reports in the news about how some people who are really really unfit to work are treated appallingly bad.

Obviously one of the reasons I posted here is because my friends donít seem to grasp my situation . They think that Iím taking too long to either look for work or sign on . I went through major upheaval rather than lie down and carry on living 10 yers of misery.
    I thought Iíd have myself up and running in 6 months . Myasthenia says no. The best option would be imho for my doctor to sign me off for say 6 -12 months and within that time I find employment .
    Then Iím back and not claiming anything and everything is hunky dory . Life isnít like that tho
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 3rd Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 23,682 Posts
    • 13,805 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    Have you obtained a state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 3rd Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    another casualty
    Have you obtained a state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    Originally posted by xylophone

Thanks xylophone . Iíve created an account from scratch now the site doesnít recognise me . I will persevere after dinner
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 3rd Dec 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    another casualty
    Okay...( or not)
    National insurance record : 39 years full contributions - 12 years to contribute before 5 April 2029

I have been in a contracted out pension scheme

So state pension forecast : £167.63 a week / £728.89 per month/ £8,746. 69 a year .

Then the caveats : not a guarantee ££167.63 a week is the most i can get . Blah blah blah
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 3rd Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    If your doctor is willing to sign you off as not fit for work, and your NI record for the last 2 tax years is sufficient then you will be able to claim New Style or Contribution-based ESA.

You are paid ESA at the assessment rate of £73pw for 13 weeks before you have the work capability assessment, however in reality it is usually much longer. Whilst you are receiving ESA you also get NI contributions towards the State Pension.

In this period of 13 plus weeks you may be able to find work.

If you delay claiming until January the relavant Tax Years advance one year from 2014/15 and 2015/16, to 2015/16 and 2016/17. For ESA it is not your total NI contributions that count, it is the only NI contributions in the relevant years I have quoted,

"You qualify for contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions. There are two contribution conditions you must meet:

First contribution condition - in one of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid Class 1 or 2 contributions on relevant earnings at the lower earnings limit for at least 26 weeks. This means you must have worked for at least 26 weeks of the last two complete tax years; and

Second contribution condition - in both of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid or been credited with, Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.
    The 2 tax years that are relevant are the ones that were completed before the benefit year in which your period of limited capability for work began.

The tax year runs 6 April - 5th April
    The benefit year runs from the first Sunday in January.
    The lower earnings limit for the 2014/2015 tax year was £111 per week, for 2015/2016 it was £112 per week."
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based

Do you understand why both pmlindyloo and tellit have suggested you apply for CB ESA this month.

NI contributions towards the SP is different to NI contributions for ESA entitlement. To be clear:
    If you apply for CB - ESA this month, then the tax years that count are 2014/15 and 2015/16;
    If you apply for CB - ESA in January, then the tax years that count are 2015/16 and 2016/17;
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 3rd Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 10,906 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    I think the first thing to do is have a chat with your doctor and see what he/she feels about your returning to work. You need to do this asap because of the cut off time for your new style ESA (based on your NI contributions)

If he is willing to write a fit note to cover you then you can apply for ESA. You can also do something called Permitted work whilst claiming ESA. You must work under 16 hrs and not earn more than £120 per week. Google for more information or come back and ask.

This would give you the opportunity to ease your self back into work.

If your doctor says you are fit for work then you can claim new style JSA (again based on your NI contributions). You would have a claimant commitment and be expected to look for full time work unless your job coach was flexible about your looking for part time work until you are fully recovered.

So, book an appointment with doctor asap and go from there. ESA would be, IMHO, your best option from reading your previous thread about reducing your present medication (but then, I am not a doctor!)
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 4th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks again for your kind help and advice .
    Looking at everything and weighing everything up , I think itís best to do nothing . When I say nothing , I mean look for work in the spring .
    I will feel more confident by then . I have been seeing a personal trainer for a couple of weeks , which I will keep on doing for some time . It may seem crazy but as I am not paying rent or a mortgage it seems best to carry on , but focus on getting ready for Easter time .

There seem to be so many hurdles to go through for a pittance , I feel like a knackered race horse before I start .
    I will polish up my cv and covering letter, hit the agencies in Poole / Bournemouth and Southampton and see what gives . I donít want a kings ransom and only really need a part time position .
    I may seem stupid , but compared to the way I was with stroke like symptoms I could be a lot worse off or even dead
    Daunting times ahead .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

7,231Users online

Martin's Twitter