Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beaut.bebe
    • By Beaut.bebe 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Beaut.bebe
    Gas leak advice!
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    Gas leak advice! 2nd Dec 17 at 11:36 AM
    Hey guys, sorry if I’ve picked the wrong thread! This seemed to fit best. So basically we found out yesterday that a gas engineer our estate agents sent round (we rent privately, me myself and my newborn twins) had left us with a gas leak when he fixed our hob last week. We thought we smelt gas on and off but when my parents came and mentioned it without us even saying anything about gas we knew we weren’t imagining it so called the EA to get someone out. Firstly they wanted use to wait four more days until the following Tuesday even though we said we could actually smell gas and had newborns in the property as well as ourselves. They then said they’d come the same day if they had time!! After much pushing by my husband, they agreed to come out that day and found a gas leak in the hob. They had to turn off the hob as they had no idea which part was leaking apparently. Unfortunately it was the same company so we are reticent whether they actually did the second job correctly or not!

We took the twins to A&E where we spent 8 hours having my seven week old twins with cannulas in their arms and bloods being taken for carbon monoxide tests. Their second test results came back more acceptable and they were sent home thankfully. Myself and my husband then spent a further 6.5 hours getting ourselves checked, racking up huge car park charges in the process! We also were sent home with barely acceptable levels in our bloods.

Bearing in mind we were sent home without any major issues, is it worth trying to bring a case against this company? For the fact that that man should be struck off the gas safety register alone but also for the emotional stress that my twins (although they won’t remember!) and myself went through. Seeing my seven week olds going through it all was quite distressing!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Also, depending on the leak volume, our gas bill will surely be affected which I do not want to pay for!!).
Page 3
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 3rd Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    00ec25
    chopped up swede. (Long story, not entirely my fault. Honest.)
    Originally posted by elsien
    the absence of a capital S is a relief, otherwise one would wonder if an accomplice has just been discovered.

RIP Kim Wall
    • elsien
    • By elsien 3rd Dec 17, 3:04 PM
    • 15,422 Posts
    • 38,719 Thanks
    elsien
    I'm sitting comfortably, and there's a cup of tea here, so feel free to go on...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Working in a small care home. Staff on shift the previous evening had prepared aforementioned swede ready to cook but put it in a bag rather than water. I'd done the weekly shop, couldn't get it all in the fridge so decided the swede was the best thing to leave out.
    Did sleep in. Went into kitchen the following morning to find a very strong gassy smell. Turned off gas and opened windows. Called gasman. Debated the pros and cons of waking up and trying to evacuate 4 people with autism while trying to persuade them not to go near the light switches. Gasman couldn't find a leak but also couldn't work out why with the gas off and all the windows open the smell was not subsiding.
    It did take rather longer than you might expect of the two of us wandering around doing our best sniffer dog impression to narrow it down to the offending vegetables.

Not my finest hour.
    Last edited by elsien; 03-12-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • macman
    • By macman 3rd Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    Had the house caught fire, The OP would presumably have called the EA to request them to call the fire brigade?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 3rd Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 10,038 Posts
    • 8,098 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I asked what levels my midwife had seen and I think she said up to 11 in a smoker. I don't know what the units mean.
    Originally posted by tlc678910
    Up to 11? Most only usually go up to a 10.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter