Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beaut.bebe
    • By Beaut.bebe 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Beaut.bebe
    Gas leak advice!
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    Gas leak advice! 2nd Dec 17 at 11:36 AM
    Hey guys, sorry if Iíve picked the wrong thread! This seemed to fit best. So basically we found out yesterday that a gas engineer our estate agents sent round (we rent privately, me myself and my newborn twins) had left us with a gas leak when he fixed our hob last week. We thought we smelt gas on and off but when my parents came and mentioned it without us even saying anything about gas we knew we werenít imagining it so called the EA to get someone out. Firstly they wanted use to wait four more days until the following Tuesday even though we said we could actually smell gas and had newborns in the property as well as ourselves. They then said theyíd come the same day if they had time!! After much pushing by my husband, they agreed to come out that day and found a gas leak in the hob. They had to turn off the hob as they had no idea which part was leaking apparently. Unfortunately it was the same company so we are reticent whether they actually did the second job correctly or not!

We took the twins to A&E where we spent 8 hours having my seven week old twins with cannulas in their arms and bloods being taken for carbon monoxide tests. Their second test results came back more acceptable and they were sent home thankfully. Myself and my husband then spent a further 6.5 hours getting ourselves checked, racking up huge car park charges in the process! We also were sent home with barely acceptable levels in our bloods.

Bearing in mind we were sent home without any major issues, is it worth trying to bring a case against this company? For the fact that that man should be struck off the gas safety register alone but also for the emotional stress that my twins (although they wonít remember!) and myself went through. Seeing my seven week olds going through it all was quite distressing!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Also, depending on the leak volume, our gas bill will surely be affected which I do not want to pay for!!).
Page 1
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 2nd Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 5,522 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    In future, if you smell gas you should call 0800 111 999 straightaway.

Follow the advice on this website and don't fanny about with estate agents or anybody else.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/safety-and-emergencies/gas-emergencies-and-safety-advice
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 2nd Dec 17, 11:44 AM
    • 11,198 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:44 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:44 AM
    Hey guys, sorry if I’ve picked the wrong thread! This seemed to fit best. So basically we found out yesterday that a gas engineer our estate agents sent round (we rent privately, me myself and my newborn twins) had left us with a gas leak when he fixed our hob last week. We thought we smelt gas on and off but when my parents came and mentioned it without us even saying anything about gas we knew we weren’t imagining it so called the EA to get someone out. Firstly they wanted use to wait four more days until the following Tuesday even though we said we could actually smell gas and had newborns in the property as well as ourselves. They then said they’d come the same day if they had time!! After much pushing by my husband, they agreed to come out that day and found a gas leak in the hob. They had to turn off the hob as they had no idea which part was leaking apparently. Unfortunately it was the same company so we are reticent whether they actually did the second job correctly or not!

We took the twins to A&E where we spent 8 hours having my seven week old twins with cannulas in their arms and bloods being taken for carbon monoxide tests. Their second test results came back more acceptable and they were sent home thankfully. Myself and my husband then spent a further 6.5 hours getting ourselves checked, racking up huge car park charges in the process! We also were sent home with barely acceptable levels in our bloods.

Bearing in mind we were sent home without any major issues, is it worth trying to bring a case against this company? For the fact that that man should be struck off the gas safety register alone but also for the emotional stress that my twins (although they won’t remember!) and myself went through. Seeing my seven week olds going through it all was quite distressing!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Also, depending on the leak volume, our gas bill will surely be affected which I do not want to pay for!!).
    Originally posted by Beaut.bebe
    If you could smell gas why did you fanny about waiting for the letting agency to send out a gas safety engineer? Why didn't you contact the gas emergency number (0800 111 999 ) immediately?

I take it you went to A&E because your CO alarm was going off indicating that there was CO present. Although I don't see how that would be related to the gas leak because CO is only produced due to incomplete combustion of carbon and the leaking gas wasn't being combusted so if your CO alarm was going off then there must be another reason for it.

If you want to make a complaint about the engineer then you can do so through the Gas Safety Register.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/complaints-report-an-illegal/
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 2nd Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 6,265 Posts
    • 6,044 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    The gas coming through the pipe is methane. Where did your carbon monoxide come from?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 2nd Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 42,280 Posts
    • 49,123 Thanks
    G_M
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    Firstly, did you check that the engineer was gasSafe registered?

Second, do you have a valid (within the last 12 months) Gas Safety report?

Third, if you have convcerns about the competance of the engineer, you can report it to GasSafe.

Fourth, you could write to your landlord (politely!) explaining your concern, and listing your costs and stress, and ask
    * that they use a different company in future, and/or
    * get a second company to check the 1st company's work, and/or
    * compensate you for your costs

All the above though are discretionary - the LL has in fact done nothing wrong. He arranged a repair, and then when you advised him of concern about the leak, he again arranged a repair.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 2nd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    If I were your 'LL I would be asking why you didn't call the emergency gas number as soon as you smelt gas rather than waiting for someone else to comment on it later (you don't say if this was a same day or several days later).
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 2nd Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    I'm really surprised the EA or landlord didn't give you the emergency number to call that other posters have quoted.

Stick it up in your kitchen for future reference.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 2nd Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    Why? This is nothing to do with a gas leak. If the levels were high fixing the gas leak will do nothing. You need your appliances checked.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 2nd Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    pinklady21
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    Do you have a Carbon Monoxide (CO2) monitor in your house? If not, get one today. They cost very little and will give you peace of mind. In the event of another problem with gas appliances the alarm should be triggered. At that point, as others have said, call the emergency gas number. Hope all is well now and that you and your family have recovered from this emergency.

EDIT sorry for my typo, adn thank you to the eagle eyed MSExperts who spooted it....
    Last edited by pinklady21; 02-12-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 2nd Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    00ec25
    Do you have a Carbon Monoxide (CO2) monitor in your house? If not, get one today. They cost very little and will give you peace of mind. In the event of another problem with gas appliances the alarm should be triggered. At that point, as others have said, call the emergency gas number. Hope all is well now and that you and your family have recovered from this emergency.
    Originally posted by pinklady21
    LOL. Carbon MONoxide has one atom of oxygen so is CO and is "dangerous" in confined spaces.

Carbon DIoxide has 2 atoms so is CO2 and is (mostly) harmless
    Last edited by 00ec25; 02-12-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    • Beaut.bebe
    • By Beaut.bebe 2nd Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Beaut.bebe
    - Nobody at any point gave us a number for a gas leak hotline. I wasnít aware of one, Iíve never had a gas problem before and have never been told about it. Ignorance of something canít really be classed as Ďfannying aboutí. We did what we thought was right at the time. I will keep the number handy for the future.
    - Our gas alarm never went off, the tester button works fine.
    -I donít know why they tested us all for Carbon Monoxide, Iím not medically trained. We told the hospital what had happened and they did what they felt appropriate.
    -I donít want to do anything with regards to the landlord, itís not her fault. I want to complain about the gas engineer who left a leak in my house and told me the job was completed correctly when it clearly wasnít.
    -My main issue is the fact that we were left by a Ďprofessionalí with a gas leak that could have affected my family. We have now just been told by our EA that an electrician has to come and move our sockets as they are in a Ďheat zoneí and are dangerous so this isnít the only issue we have in the house. But according to this thread Iím sure I should have already known that and have been fannying about using the sockets. Iím not sure Iím going to get any advice that isnít people just telling me I did the incorrect thing so wonít I check back again to this thread. If this is the pool of people available for friendly, non judgemental advice Iím not sure Iíll be using this siteís forums anymore either.

Thanks everyone that genuinely did help - pinklady im looking at you my lovely!
    • Beaut.bebe
    • By Beaut.bebe 2nd Dec 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Beaut.bebe
    We did what we were advised to do by NHS.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 2nd Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 11,198 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    I still donít get it. You were so concerned about a gas leak that you took your family to A&E but never thought to type ďgas leakĒ into a search engine?

As for never being told about the gas emergency number there are adverts on television anc itís quite possibly on your gas meter as well. In other words is readily available.
    Last edited by Pixie5740; 02-12-2017 at 2:16 PM.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 2nd Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 5,522 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Thanks everyone that genuinely did help - pinklady im looking at you my lovely!
    Excuse me? So my post giving you the emergency gas leak number and the link to instructions on what to do in the event of a gas leak in the future, that wasn't genuine help?

Don't know why I bothered, maybe you'd prefer to just crack on and wait till the house blows up next time.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 2nd Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    IAmWales
    You don't know what to do if you smell gas?

Even if you didn't know, Google would have told you in seconds. The leak is the responsibility of the LL to resolve, but your lack of fundamental knowledge is no one's fault but your own.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 2nd Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 11,198 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Excuse me? So my post giving you the emergency gas leak number and the link to instructions on what to do in the event of a gas leak in the future, that wasn't genuine help?

Don't know why I bothered, maybe you'd prefer to just crack on and wait till the house blows up next time.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Thereís no helping some people. Searching ďgas leakĒ online was beyond the OPís capabilities as was looking on the Gas Safety Registerís website about how to make a complaint.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 2nd Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 10,038 Posts
    • 8,098 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Bearing in mind we were sent home without any major issues, is it worth trying to bring a case against this company? For the fact that that man should be struck off the gas safety register alone but also for the emotional stress that my twins (although they wonít remember!) and myself went through. Seeing my seven week olds going through it all was quite distressing!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Also, depending on the leak volume, our gas bill will surely be affected which I do not want to pay for!!).
    Unfortunately your error of judgement in not ringing the gas emergency number has caused most of your problems. Emotional stress? Well you had a stressful 24 hrs, nothing permanent and not practical to sue for compensation.

If the gas fitter was incompetent then this should be reported to Gas Safe. Fortunately your gas bill won't be significantly higher, if it had been then you and your family would no longer have any cares or worries.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 2nd Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 5,522 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Thereís no helping some people.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    You're probably right. Glad I don't live next door!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 2nd Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 15,714 Posts
    • 14,030 Thanks
    AdrianC
    So basically we found out yesterday that a gas engineer our estate agents sent round (we rent privately, me myself and my newborn twins) had left us with a gas leak when he fixed our hob last week. We thought we smelt gas on and off but when my parents came and mentioned it without us even saying anything about gas we knew we werenít imagining it so called the EA to get someone out. Firstly they wanted use to wait four more days until the following Tuesday even though we said we could actually smell gas and had newborns in the property as well as ourselves. They then said theyíd come the same day if they had time!! After much pushing by my husband, they agreed to come out that day and found a gas leak in the hob. They had to turn off the hob as they had no idea which part was leaking apparently. Unfortunately it was the same company so we are reticent whether they actually did the second job correctly or not!
    Is there still a gas leak? No? Then they did.

We took the twins to A&E where we spent 8 hours having my seven week old twins with cannulas in their arms and bloods being taken for carbon monoxide tests.
    CO is a gas. "Gas" is a gas - methane. They are not the same gas. When you burn methane, CO can be one of the combustion byproducts, but only if the burning is incomplete. You weren't burning the methane. There would have been no CO.

the emotional stress that my twins (although they wonít remember!)
    I give in...
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 2nd Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 5,168 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    - Nobody at any point gave us a number for a gas leak hotline. I wasn’t aware of one, I’ve never had a gas problem before and have never been told about it. Ignorance of something can’t really be classed as ‘fannying about’. We did what we thought was right at the time. I will keep the number handy for the future.
    - Our gas alarm never went off, the tester button works fine.
    Find your gas meter. There will be a lever where you can turn the gas off. Knowing where this is will be handy for the future. If you cannot find it ask the gas fitter on their next visit.

By gas alarm do you mean carbon monoxide alarm? These alert you to high carbon monoxide levels, not gas leaks. The smell of gas alerts you to gas leaks.

We did what we were advised to do by NHS.
    Likely to be a misunderstanding. Either you or them confused a gas leak with a carbon monoxide leak.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 02-12-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,257Users online

Martin's Twitter