Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toffee'n'tom
    • By toffee'n'tom 2nd Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 411Posts
    • 301Thanks
    toffee'n'tom
    plagiarism
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    plagiarism 2nd Dec 17 at 11:17 AM
    Hi. I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post this or another forum?

I want to use a quote from one of my 'friends' facebook comments in my university piece. It is their words on their facebook page. If I use this does anyone know if this will this be detected by turnitin the plagiarism detector used by unis?
Page 1
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 2nd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    SuperHan
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    Can you not just cite it as a source?
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 2nd Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 14,946 Posts
    • 127,704 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    You should assume that it does.

If it might even be mistaken for plagiarism, you neet to attribute it to a source.

You should also assume that the university ( and any potential employer) may know what you post on Facebook.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 2nd Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    • 11,717 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    Whether or not it could be detected, you will get higher marks if you give a source for the quotation rather than presenting it as your own words.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 3rd Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    You will need to cite it. Even if it didn't come up in a plagiarism checker it makes it less legitimate and weakens your argument/point if you can't cite your sources.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

1,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin