Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mizfiesta
    • By mizfiesta 2nd Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 342Posts
    • 574Thanks
    mizfiesta
    Depositing cash with no local branch
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    Depositing cash with no local branch 2nd Dec 17 at 10:58 AM
    Hi all, I recently switched banks for the first time in my life. I went with M&S as their gift card offer was tempting.
    Apart from the fact that i find their internet banking website not that great it's all been fine. Up till today that is. I have some cash that I need to deposit and don't have a local M&S bank branch. I called them up and they said I had to go to my nearest HSBC branch with was slightly closer but still 10 miles away!
    I don't have another bank account to use so not sure what to do. I used to be able to deposit cash at my local Post Office when my local Clydesdale branch closed but the lady on the phone at M&S said I couldn't do this! Jeezo. How do you all get round this (if you've ever encountered it that is)?
    Last edited by mizfiesta; 02-12-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Typo
    "I'm so poor I can't even pay attention".
    - Ron Kittle
Page 1
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 2nd Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 37,989 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    It won't help you now but many people do not switch their 'main' bank a/c but a donor one to get the incentive.

Perhaps you could open an account with a bank that does (still!) have a branch near you, or one that uses the PO system as well. I assume it wouldn't take too long to open a new one. Once you have another account you can easily move money from one bank to another.

Sorry, can't think of another solution except of course use cash instead of plastic until cash has gone!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 2nd Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 5,886 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    Hi all, I recently switched banks for the first time in my life. I went with M&S as their gift card offer was tempting.
    Apart from the fact that i find their internet banking website not that great it's all been fine. Up till today that is. I have some cash that I need to deposit and don't have a local M&S bank branch. I called them up and they said I had to go to my nearest HSBC branch with was slightly closer but still 10 miles away!
    I don't have another bank account to use so not sure what to do. I used to be able to deposit cash at my local Post Office when my local Clydesdale branch closed but the lady on the phone at M&S said I couldn't do this! Jeezo. How do you all get round this (if you've ever encountered it that is)?
    Originally posted by mizfiesta
    Easy to say with hindsight of course but I think it's fair to say that most people would research the features of an account before switching!

It's usually a good idea to have more than one current account anyway, in case one becomes unavailable for any reason (either specific to you or a bank-wide technical issue), so why not open one with a branch close to you or accessible via Post Offices?
    • etienneg
    • By etienneg 2nd Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    etienneg
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    It's a good idea to have more than one bank account, so that you have a way of accessing funds if one of them has a problem (which seems to happen from time to time, and can last for a few days). So why not open an account at a bank close to you? If you set up internet banking on both you can transfer money between them from the comfort of your home.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 2nd Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:56 AM
    You'll just have to spend the cash.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • mizfiesta
    • By mizfiesta 2nd Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    mizfiesta
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    You'll just have to spend the cash.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Haha don't temp me!
    - Ron Kittle
    • mizfiesta
    • By mizfiesta 2nd Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    mizfiesta
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    I was thinking about opening a Post Office Instant Saver account. At least I have a local Post Office to visit with cash. And all I would need to do then is transfer online from PO account to current account. Long way for a short cut but it's an option I guess.
    - Ron Kittle
    • mizfiesta
    • By mizfiesta 2nd Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    mizfiesta
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    Banking Via Post Office Branch
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    Can anyone tell me which banks allow you to deposit cash into your current account via a Post Office counter?

Finding it difficult to deposit cash into M & S current account and I don't live near a branch :-(
    - Ron Kittle
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 2nd Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 5,886 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    They're listed at https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services (under the 'withdraw and deposits' tab), but best to check with the product info on any bank's own website before committing....
    • henm2
    • By henm2 2nd Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    henm2
    Deposits for M & S accounts are done over HSBC branch counters. It would appear that you can not do it via the Post Office.
    • jimroy
    • By jimroy 2nd Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    jimroy
    I know it's not related to paying cash in or withdrawing cash on your M&S debit card at the Post Office, but I thought you may be interested to know for future reference that you can pay cheques into your M&S account at the Post Office.
    I pay cheques into my FD account at the Post Office and the envelopes issued by them for paying in there are for HSBC, M&S and First Direct customers.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 2nd Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Worth noting that there are different "levels" of post office access.

Some allow cash deposits using the account's debit card which credits the account immediately, some require a paper deposit slip and it can take a couple of working days for the credit to appear.

I use Co-op which credits instantly using the debit card (or cash card if the account doesn't have a debit card). Many others do too, but some require a paying in slip which you need to have from your bank as the post office can't provide them.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 7,217 Posts
    • 10,133 Thanks
    KxMx
    I'd only choose a provider where the PO offers cash deposits with debit card/ chip & pin. This is credited instantly.
    Last edited by KxMx; 02-12-2017 at 2:03 PM.
    • mizfiesta
    • By mizfiesta 2nd Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    mizfiesta
    I'd only choose a provider where the PO offers cash deposits with debit card/ chip & pin. This is credited instantly.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I've actually just switched to Clydesdale B. I def need to be able to access account through PO if I can't get a branch nearby. Their app seems popular. No cashback or carrot of any kind but hey ho.
    - Ron Kittle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

7,373Users online

Martin's Twitter