Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sol198
    • By sol198 2nd Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 15Thanks
    sol198
    bank of scotland overdrafts
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    bank of scotland overdrafts 2nd Dec 17 at 10:30 AM
    Hi there,

Looking for a bit of advice on this mornings bank account activity,

I have a £2k overdraft on a bank of scotland current account. recently the bank have changed their overdraft charges to 7p per £100 per day.

admittedly I used the 2k overdraft but after these changes I paid a portion off and could budget to around 500-1k usage the past month,

i was previously paying £1 per day and this meant a £28-£31 overdraft usage charge every month which I could handle.

in the past month I have been getting daily charges from 0-roughly 75p, this works out cheaper than what i was paying previously per month for overdraft usage.

this morning I have paid my daily overdraft fee but they have also charged me the old £29 chg as well? I can't see anything which said this would still apply. Apologies if I haven't read the small print too well and this is correct.

anyone else using this new system had the same? is correct?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 2nd Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    • 17,472 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    molerat
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    The old charges were paid in arrears and the new charges are pay as you go so the £29 is for previous month's use before the new charges started.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • sol198
    • By sol198 2nd Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    sol198
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    The old charges were paid in arrears and the new charges are pay as you go so the £29 is for previous month's use before the new charges started.
    Originally posted by molerat
    makes sense, many thanks for this.

This will be a harsh hit for some users this calendar month by the looks of it
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 2nd Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    This will be the last arrears charge for you because the new structure started in Nov. (Dec charge is for Oct usage)

The new structure is 1p per £7 used and daily means usage and charge leave the same day.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,326Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter