Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nedchester
    • By nedchester 2nd Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    nedchester
    Window installer not using scaffolding
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    Window installer not using scaffolding 2nd Dec 17 at 8:36 AM
    I am currently having some new windows and paid £300 extra for having scaffolding put up above our conservatory.

The window installer told me he didn't need scaffolding and has fitted the window (very well I might add) without any scaffolding.

Can I withdraw £300 from the final payment due to scaffolding not being used?
Page 1
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 2nd Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    It would be worth discussing this with the installer before making payment. If the installer quoted for the scaffold to be put up by an external contractor, the builder hasn't incurred the cost, but they have used their own equipment instead which will incur some wear and tear as a result.

I would suggest to the installer that you pay them £100 for "scaffold". Thus the installer will make a little bit extra and you will save a bit. Even if the scaffold was to be erected by the installer, they have saved the time by not erecting it.

You are not really entitled to a discount as the quote was to install windows, not to erect scaffold - but the installer was wrong to quote for services that were not required. A negotiated settlement should save you £150-£200 on quote.
    • nedchester
    • By nedchester 2nd Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    nedchester
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    It would be worth discussing this with the installer before making payment. If the installer quoted for the scaffold to be put up by an external contractor, the builder hasn't incurred the cost, but they have used their own equipment instead which will incur some wear and tear as a result.

I would suggest to the installer that you pay them £100 for "scaffold". Thus the installer will make a little bit extra and you will save a bit. Even if the scaffold was to be erected by the installer, they have saved the time by not erecting it.

You are not really entitled to a discount as the quote was to install windows, not to erect scaffold - but the installer was wrong to quote for services that were not required. A negotiated settlement should save you £150-£200 on quote.
    Originally posted by tacpot12
    Many thanks for this.

I was going to ring the window company this morning and ask them anyhow.

The installer just fitted the window from the inside by pulling the window into the gap and then leaning out of the window to seal it. No extra equipment used.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 2nd Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    It may well not be billed. It may have been an "allowance" for scaffolding, in case it was needed.

But, as it wasn't, I would suggest it shouldn't be charged for. Whether you will need to suggest, you may just find out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin