Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marky_babs
    • By Marky_babs 2nd Dec 17, 6:06 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Marky_babs
    3 signal not as shown in-store
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:06 AM
    3 signal not as shown in-store 2nd Dec 17 at 6:06 AM
    I recently signed up (in store) for a SIM only deal with 3 based on the coverage checker I was shown in store - this suggested good 4G coverage indoor and outdoor where I live and where I work. When I got home I was somewhat disappointed to find intermittent signal outdoors and not a single bar indoors (upstairs, downstairs, standing on my head in the loft - you get the idea). I went back to the 3 store from which I bought the phone where the nice lady said she'd sort this out for me, I returned the SIM to her and she said she would stop the contract at no cost. I was a little disappointed and surprised when I noticed that the DD was still being paid to 3. I called them up just now to be told that if I cancelled the contract (I thought I already had) then I was liable to pay the outstanding balance of the contract. I tried to explain what the staff in the store had said, but was told I needed to go back to the store to have this discussion; the discussion I had already had! The call centre bloke also mentioned that they have a signal team who might be able to update my phone to better receive signal - I've got a HTC 10, so not the newest phone on the market, but hardly an old phone.

Questions:

1. What are my rights based on the conversation I have already had in store and the fact that the information I was given in store that turned out not to be accurate (i.e. that of the quality of signal) was the reason I opted to proceed with the purchase.

2. Has anyone had to have their phone 'updated' by a service provider in order to be able to receive a signal? What does this involve?
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    I think you need to go back and look for that nice lady who didn't (or couldn't) fulfill her promise. Her colleagues may or may not be helpful.

I've never heard of a phone being 'updated' by a signal team, if there's something they can do I can't imagine what it could be, but others may know.
    Perhaps they would try and talk you into a new phone.

It's always best to test network signal at your location with a free PAYG SIM before signing up to any contract, regardless of what a coverage map may indicate.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    Three can put out a small software update to certain phones (not the OP's) to enable their In Touch Wifi calling or you can use their app off the store. That said I'm sure I saw on here somewhere that one of the carriers is dropping the app although I'm not sure if it was Three or not.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch

this suggested good 4G coverage
    Never trust coverage checkers.

As said above, you've got to go back to the store and sort it if you don't want to try the WiFi calling (it is free to install it).
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    Three can put out a small software update to certain phones (not the OP's) to enable their In Touch Wifi calling or you can use their app off the store. That said I'm sure I saw on here somewhere that one of the carriers is dropping the app although I'm not sure if it was Three or not.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch

Never trust coverage checkers.

As said above, you've got to go back to the store and sort it if you don't want to try the WiFi calling (it is free to install it).
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Three In Touch is still on the go.
    It is O2's TU GO app that has just been discontinued.
    Thats why I am now using Three In Touch
    HTH
    • Iluvorkney
    • By Iluvorkney 11th Dec 17, 9:23 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Iluvorkney
    • 11th Dec 17, 9:23 AM
    • 11th Dec 17, 9:23 AM
    I had the same issue. I use the Three in Touch app to get round the calls issue, although you have to have wi fi to use it. I have contacted 3 three times. first time got £5 discount, second time £10 and third time got £2 off my monthly D.D. for the rest of the contract. I am disappointed about the 4g but am happy to stay with 3
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 11th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 11th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 11th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    The OP may end up having to make do with the app anyway, since there is no cooling off period with a purchase made in store.

If Three don't play ball, the issue is going to be proving what they've said.

Always enter into contracts online or over the phone in future, as it gets you a minimum of 14 days to get out of the contract, even if it's just a case of finding a better deal elsewhere.

As per this article, you can try Ofcom if going back to Three and filing a complaint both fail: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/mobile-phone-cost-cutting?_ga=2.64683244.253305525.1511632009-342153113.1511632009#signal
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Iluvorkney
    • By Iluvorkney 11th Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Iluvorkney
    • 11th Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    Network coverage
    • 11th Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    As per Kim_13's post, don't rely on Ofcoms coverage. My postcode tells me that on Three, I should get good coverage with the mobile signal, 3g and 4g. I can get none of them which is why I use the Three in touch app which with wifi means I can make and receive calls.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 11th Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 11th Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    I never understand why people don't physically check the signal before committing. All the major networks and a most MVNO's offer free PAYG SIM's. Get two or more test them and based on the results then commit.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 11th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,962 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 11th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    Coverage maps are a myth, it's not like anyone from any of the networks every goes to check them.

It's all theroy, even if there was good coverage in location X, something could be built between it and the mast and the signal would almost vanish.

As above, the ONLY way to check is to get a free patg sim and actually see.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 11th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    Kim_13
    With regards to testing via PAYG sims, there's, only so much you can check for free (an indication of how many bars there are.) Beyond that, one would need to top up with £5 or £10 to check network performance.

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Dec 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    With regards to testing via PAYG sims, there's, only so much you can check for free (an indication of how many bars there are.) Beyond that, one would need to top up with £5 or £10 to check network performance.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Not entirely true, for the EE network you can use an Asda sim which has 100MB of data, 5 mins & 5 texts (from memory) on it.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 12th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    jon81uk
    This is one of those annoying ones, where if you bought online or buy phone you would have a 14 day cooling off period to return it in. But having bought in-store, there isn't really anything you can do, other than try to argue the service isn't what was promised.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    boatman
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-if-youve-been-misled-by-your-mobile-provider

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-keep-losing-mobile-phone-signal-in-my-home-what-can-i-do
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 12th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Indication will give you some indication as to whether or not there is a good enough signal to consider using which ever network. Even if you feel the need to top-up surly it's better to spend a little before committing to an expensive contract?

And as above some have a small amount of credit, free.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 12-12-2017 at 4:11 PM.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Dec 17, 4:15 PM
    • 6,739 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    There’s a small spanner in those works.

Which say (in the link):

If your provider doesn't provide the service with what is deemed to be reasonable care and skill, then you’re entitled to terminate your mobile contract for breach of that agreement with no financial penalty.

However, you must check the contract first as some terms and conditions make allowances for the loss of service.
    Three T&Cs say:

Our Network: We'll try to provide you with a great quality Three Network at all times within our coverage area. However, due to the nature of mobile technology, there may be times when Three Services aren’t continuously available or the quality is affected. Problems can happen if we’re carrying out maintenance work, if you're outside our coverage area, or if you're in a tunnel for example. See Sections 5.11 and 5.12 below.

Coverage and network speeds
    5.11.1 We’ll always try to make Three Services available to you. However, there maybe areas where you don’t have access to all Three Services or where coverage is otherwise limited or unavailable or network speeds are slower than expected.

Disruption to Three Services
    5.12 Due to the nature of mobile technology, there may be situations when Three Services aren’t always available, or the quality or network speeds are affected and so we cannot guarantee continuous fault-free service. For example:
    (a) when we need to perform upgrading, maintenance or other work on the Three Network or Three Services;
    (b) when you move outside Three’s 3G or 4G service area while you’re on a call (in this case calls may end) or using data (in this case, your connection may be lost);
    (c) when you’re in areas not covered by the Three Network. In this case, Three Services relies on other operators’ networks, over which we have no control;
    http://www.three.co.uk/cs/Satellite?blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobwhere=1 400891403014&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobcol= urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs

Three may well still be cooperative, but it’s probably best if the OP doesn’t go in with an all guns blazing “I know my rights” attitude.
    ====
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 12th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Indication will give you some indication as to whether or not there is a good enough signal to consider using which ever network. Even if you feel the need to top-up surly it's better to spend a little before committing to an expensive contract?

And as above some have a small amount of credit, free.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    Of course.

I would personally favour checking with friends or relatives if any visit, or going the online or over the phone route so as to have the cooling off period.

If anyone does want to test via PAYG sim, make sure to order online. Shops will happily charge you for a sim you can get free online.

• Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Another useful, but not guaranteed, coverage check is the Rootmetrics web site, or app. The results are from actual users, but will not show your coverage as building materials can have a huge influence on coverage into buildings, no network will guarantee coverage into buildings unless they install a site in the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin