Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paton147
    • By Paton147 2nd Dec 17, 5:18 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Paton147
    Crispy skin!
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:18 AM
    Crispy skin! 2nd Dec 17 at 5:18 AM
    Iíve spent hours trawling the net for an answer, and asked so many people over the years!!! How do you maintain crispy skin on your festive bird!?

We are told to cover the turkey with foil or a towel for an hour or two... but this just causes condensation that turns the skin soggy!

Any ideas? Blow torch?! Leave uncovered?!

Also.... I have 11 guests... so where do people stand on cooking the turkey the night before?!
Page 1
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 2nd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    nimbo
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    My mil cooked the meats the night before last year and it was hideous. The pork was like leather and the turkey drier than the Sahara. She’s usually a really good cook so an anomaly.

As to how to have the skin to eat crispy. Take it off the bird the minute it’s cooked and gobble is up. It’s the best bit and shouldn’t be wasted to sogginess.

I’m not allowed to cook at Christmas. Because I do selfish things like eat all the turkey skin. And eat all the best bits.

I do have to slave away the day before and over night making the pavlova though.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 4th Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    Do a Google search for 'how to get crispy skin on turkey' and take your pick of the many suggestions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin