Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sirly
    • By Sirly 2nd Dec 17, 12:10 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Sirly
    Car Insurance worries
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:10 AM
    Car Insurance worries 2nd Dec 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hello.

I renewed my car insurance with Diamond and realised the Direct debit had not gone through. I checked my renewal email (i always forget to check the email as I never shop around: I know, more fool me). The worry I have is when i read the email, there was a specific reference to the attendance on Speed Awareness courses when renewing.

I never realised you had to notify the company. I went on an SAC in March 2016, so I have had two renewals where I failed to declare it. Will I get a huge "fine" if I notify now? I only didnt because on the course they said you didnt have to say. Now Im terrified my insurance will be invalid.

Any help would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Dec 17, 5:11 AM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,468 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:11 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:11 AM
    20 years in jail at the very least.

Or you could cancel the policy and pay the fees and get insurance elsewhere.

Or notify them and pay the increased premium and backdated premiums from failing to disclose the SAC.

The clock is ticking and the buzzer is armed.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 2nd Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    if you tell them now, there could be a risk they would void your insurance for non disclosure.

Were you asked specifically the question on speed awareness courses?? when you bought the insurance?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Sirly
    • By Sirly 2nd Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sirly
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    I didnt have an SAC when I bought the insurance originally.
    • Sirly
    • By Sirly 2nd Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sirly
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    I have never been "specifically asked" about about the SAC because Ive just done auto renewal.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 2nd Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    When you renew you're sent a renewal quote. On the renewal quote it states all the questions you originally answered / info your originally gave when you took out the policy, and then says you must notify them if anything has changed / is incorrect / is different.

If they asked you the question about SAC when you took out the policy then this will be stated on your renewal quote as well - you will also need to check the assumptions part as it may not be asked as a question.

So, if you were asked originally when taking out the policy, and have failed to notify them of the change then they can cancel the policy, or even void the policy. Or they may just apply a higher premium.
    Last edited by FutureGirl; 02-12-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    • Sirly
    • By Sirly 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sirly
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    So.

Thanks for 3/4 of you for the help.

I rang Diamond, spoke to a lovely Welsh man who raised my premium by 60 quid and didnt care that I didnt declare it late. In fact it just puts my premium back to my 2016-17 one. So for the comment about 20 years in prison, thanks for giving me a totally sleepless and making me sick at 3 in the morning.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 2nd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 5,293 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    rs65
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    So for the comment about 20 years in prison, thanks for giving me a totally sleepless and making me sick at 3 in the morning.
    Originally posted by Sirly
    He didn't post that until 5am. Must've been something you ate.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 2nd Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    OP, the maximum prison sentence for fraud is 10 years, not 20.

Plus an unlimited fine.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,468 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Trying to eat the evidence and made yourself sick?

You should only swallow the truth.

You were not online when i posted so cannot wait to know how my comment caused a sleepless night?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter