Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bery_451
    • By bery_451 1st Dec 17, 11:55 PM
    • 1,065Posts
    • 30Thanks
    bery_451
    Bathroom Towel radiator after advice
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:55 PM
    Bathroom Towel radiator after advice 1st Dec 17 at 11:55 PM
    Hi,

My bathroom is kinda narrow and towel radiators are normally slim however I am after a slim towel radiator that does not protrude that much distance from the wall when installed so theres plenty of space walking pass it without burning skin contact you know what I mean.

Whats the minimum distance radiator copper piper that must protrude from wall of tiles?

Where can I find these radiators?
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 2nd Dec 17, 12:14 AM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:14 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:14 AM
    Try it the other way.

What are you trying to keep it to?
    And why?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • bery_451
    • By bery_451 2nd Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    bery_451
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    Hi you mean try it on the other opposite wall?
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 2nd Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    On standard tower rails the stand-off from the wall is a fixed distance, fixed by the brackets which come with the rail. It's about the minimum possible for you to get a towel over the rail, reduce it further and you wouldn't get a towel over it.

If you're worried about it getting too hot and burning you, if you have an electric one, or a wet one with an electric element, then you can fit a thermostat or power controller, so it would get warm but not burning hot.
    • nofoollikeold
    • By nofoollikeold 2nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    nofoollikeold
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    Look at low surface temperature towel rails.
    • bery_451
    • By bery_451 2nd Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    bery_451
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    The low surface towel radiators wont heat up the bathroom that much correct?

Ok which towel radiators online have shorter stand-offs from the wall so gives more space?
    • DorsetLad
    • By DorsetLad 3rd Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    DorsetLad
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    Do you want the towel radiator to dry towels AND heat the room? A towel radiator puts out less heat into the room when it has towels on it, so it may struggle to heat the bathroom. Also, as Jonasya says, towel radiators are designed to have some space behind them so that the towel fits over both sides. You could instead consider using a slim-line radiator, where the distance from wall to radiator front can be 70 mm or less. You could put the rad lower down the wall, with a single unheated rail 40 or 50 cm above it to put the towels on. Then you will get heating and drying from the radiator and it won't protrude much into the room.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 3rd Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    Any decent fitter/plumber will be able to modify the standoffs - at the cost of making it tricky to hang a towel on there - but then again if you're not looking to warm towels then it isnt a problem.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • bery_451
    • By bery_451 3rd Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    bery_451
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    Yeah I'm just interested in getting the bathroom warm never mind the towel fitting in the towel radiator.

Looking for a radiator that is vertical narrow shape like a towel radiator yet is slim and is the closest to the wall as possible allowing more space for people to walk past it.

Any radiator suggestions?
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 3rd Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    andyhop
    80mm is the lowest you can get off the shelf

Altering cheapy plastic brackets isn’t possible

Most of the stainless steel versions could be altered but you would need to cut and then tap a new thread . Take a look at Reina Luna or Phoenix Athena .
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 3rd Dec 17, 11:13 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Ruski

Altering cheapy plastic brackets isnít possible
    Originally posted by andyhop
    Sorry - don't agree, I agree it's not ideal, but OP asked if a towel rail can go closer to the wall - it can - have been asked to do it my self before

But I think the OP is really after a slimline designer vertical

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • bery_451
    • By bery_451 4th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    bery_451
    80mm is the lowest you can get off the shelf

Altering cheapy plastic brackets isnít possible

Most of the stainless steel versions could be altered but you would need to cut and then tap a new thread . Take a look at Reina Luna or Phoenix Athena .
    Originally posted by andyhop
    Ok you mean 80mm stand-offs that determines the 80mm distance from the wall?

If so any radiator that is lower than that 80mm distance, I dont mind whether its a towel or non towel radiator. The radiator depth itself could be super thin slim yet the standoff distance from the wall could be long making it pointless I assume.

So after a typical depth to a towel radiator with the shortest distance from the wall you know what I mean.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,042Posts Today

4,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin