Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simon1878
    • By Simon1878 1st Dec 17, 11:12 PM
    • 50Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Simon1878
    Contract Advice
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:12 PM
    Contract Advice 1st Dec 17 at 11:12 PM
    Hi,

So I've set up in business and I was looking for some contract advice.

Any idea how much it would cost to get a solicitor to draft me up a small contract to ensure that someone is tied into the payments they've agreed? (It's a sideline business and up and coming so I'm not sure it would be worth going down this route).

Basically I'm a personal trainer and I want to sell blocks of sessions, but I want the customer to be tied into that block so if they agree to 12 sessions then bar a serious illness/injury then they should pay for those 12 sessions.

Any advice?
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 2nd Dec 17, 5:36 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 1,855 Thanks
    _shel
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:36 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:36 AM
    Hi,

So I've set up in business and I was looking for some contract advice.

Any idea how much it would cost to get a solicitor to draft me up a small contract to ensure that someone is tied into the payments they've agreed? (It's a sideline business and up and coming so I'm not sure it would be worth going down this route).

Basically I'm a personal trainer and I want to sell blocks of sessions, but I want the customer to be tied into that block so if they agree to 12 sessions then bar a serious illness/injury then they should pay for those 12 sessions.

Any advice?
    Originally posted by Simon1878
    Speak to your solicitor.

Donít think many on a money saving site will want to help tie people into dodgy contracts they canít afford.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 2nd Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 7,317 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    That would stop me signing that contract. Would you have public liability insurances?

Having said that, sounds as if this would be better off moved to the small business board.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 2nd Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 18,833 Posts
    • 19,145 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    This is a pretty standard sort of contract. Haven't you got any trainer friends who have come up against the same sort of issue? Isn't there a professional body who issue a sample?

I ask because I know music teachers often have the same sort of agreement with parents. (No, I've never bothered, so can't help you myself, sorry!)

Have you considered selling the block of 12 at a discount if people pay in advance? Then you can set clear T & C yourself (min 24 hours' notice of cancellation, etc). Remember you will have responsibilities yourself as well as the participants.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 2nd Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    You can pretty much write whatever you want into a contract, its the enforcement of the terms you'll have a problem with. If a judge decides your terms are anti-competitive, unfair to the consumer or another legal reason reason, you will have shelled out lots of time and money only to lose. Lots of companies have entire departments chasing late payers, your problem sounds the same.

Maybe get them to pay up front?
    Last edited by nicechap; 02-12-2017 at 2:24 PM.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 2nd Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    You should be able to find basic templates online which will do the job.

You can just have a very simple piece of paper that states the agreed terms - i.e. the customer agrees to pay for a minimum of 12 sessions at a rate of £xx, and accepts that he/she only has a right to cancel in case of a serious illness or injury. It doesn't need to be complicated.

A solicitor should be able to do it though will charge a few hundred quid but I'm not sure it would be worth it for this.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 2nd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    Speak to your solicitor.

Donít think many on a money saving site will want to help tie people into dodgy contracts they canít afford.
    Originally posted by _shel
    Eh?????????????????

If people don't like the OP's offer they don't take the deal....quite simple really.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    What would happen if a client thought they were too ill or injured to come but you disagreed? Would you ask them to prove it?

What if they wake up ill and have an early appointment so cant cancel with notice. As they donít want to lose their money, they still turn up but you think theyíre unfit to train. What happens then?

What if youíre ill and your clientís booked a babysitter? Will you compensate them?

Iíve used a few PTs and never had a contract. Good will on both sides.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 3rd Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 6,116 Thanks
    74jax
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    These are the standard clauses in my PT contract. However, I've stopped using this person as (as mentioned above) I woke one morning ill and as my session was at 6.30am couldn't cancel in time and lost the session. Fair enough I thought, that's the contract. But then on two separate occasions I was at the gym, to get a message my PT was ill and wouldn't be attending.

I just think a little lee-way on each side goes a long way.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,121Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter