Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rakesh5883
    • By rakesh5883 1st Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 3Thanks
    rakesh5883
    TV without cable
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    TV without cable 1st Dec 17 at 11:05 PM
    Guys need your suggestions here.

I need to mount my TV and slightly away from where it is now, which means I will have to find a way to drag the coaxial cable, which is something I don't want.

What is the best way to retain the same set of TV Channels (Freeview is what I have now) but without the coaxial cable.

In short, can I just cut the cord, no TV Antenna, or dish running a cord to my TV, but have the same channels , there should be something !?
    Last edited by rakesh5883; 01-12-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 2nd Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 30,780 Posts
    • 18,386 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    NowTV smart box takes current coax, you connect that to the tv with hdmi cable.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 2nd Dec 17, 8:26 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:26 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:26 AM
    To use the Freeview decoder in the TV it'll need to be connected to an aerial
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 2nd Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 15,155 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    Can't you just extend the coax cable??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 2nd Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    exiled_red
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    The only wireless solution I can think of is using an amazon fire stick to watch programmes via wifi, but that is using the on demand or catch up services rather than the TV in the more traditional sense, obviously you are limited to the channels you can get.

The other alternative is if you have a TV (with aerial) elsewhere in the house getting some form of wireless signal sender and receiver but this would only send the signal displayed on the other TV and you would have to go to the other TV every time that you wanted to change the channel which I imagine would be a pain.

If you want to continue watching all the same channels and have the ability to change the channel in that room then you need to have the cables running to the TV, your best option is to try and hide/disguise the cable runs somehow.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 2nd Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    The only wireless solution I can think of is using an amazon fire stick to watch programmes via wifi, but that is using the on demand or catch up services rather than the TV in the more traditional sense, obviously you are limited to the channels you can get.
    Originally posted by exiled_red
    There are lots of wireless solutions in addition to Fire, two that come to mind are Google Chomecast and Roku. Or does the TV have built in casting?

OP the TV will still need a power cable as will the wireless solutions (unless they the TV has USB ports that will supply enough power) so what the issue with the aerial cable going to the TV?
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 2nd Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    exiled_red
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    There are lots of wireless solutions in addition to Fire, two that come to mind are Google Chomecast and Roku. Or does the TV have built in casting?

OP the TV will still need a power cable as will the wireless solutions (unless they the TV has USB ports that will supply enough power) so what the issue with the aerial cable going to the TV?
    Originally posted by Inner Zone

I meant to put "something like an amazon fire stick" obviously I didn't type what I thought I did
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter