Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spoonhead88
    • By Spoonhead88 1st Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 117Thanks
    Spoonhead88
    Getting a attic bedroom fully gutted and redone
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    Getting a attic bedroom fully gutted and redone 1st Dec 17 at 9:52 PM
    So I'm wanting to get my attic bedroom completely gutted and redone. I've never had any kind of building work done in the past so not sure how to start? Is it case of finding one person or company to do everything or do I need to find individual trades? Also the room has a dormer window but if you following the roof like they is a bit of space each side of it that was walled off. Is that something a builder could quote for?
    I want all the plaster pulled including the type that has strips of wood and plaster
    New plaster
    Walls painted
    New carpet and underlay
    Maybe a bit of electric
    New door and door frame
    New skirting boards

This to me seems a very big job and I'm budgeting £3k is this stupidly low?
    How long would this type of work take 3 to 6 months?

DMP - JAN 2016
    Estimated DFD - August 2018 December 2016
    100% Paid
Page 1
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 1st Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    I did this to my own loft room. It was a bedroom but had very poor lining and insulation. I pulled it all back to the rafters and bare floorboards, insulated it, built a wall and door to cut it into a bedroom and a storage room, removed units and a sink, wired up new lights, we paid plasterers to plaster it and I did new skirting, door frames, paint all myself. If you were to DIY most of it then 3k is more than enough, but getting a joiner to do the work you'll be up to 5k I guess, plus painting.

Ps who would work for 3 months for 3k?!
    Last edited by glasgowdan; 01-12-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 1st Dec 17, 10:12 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:12 PM
    • Spoonhead88
    • By Spoonhead88 1st Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Spoonhead88
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    Well I'm def do not have the skills to do the work for myself. As for the 3 months it was a guess. How long would it take a professional?

DMP - JAN 2016
    Estimated DFD - August 2018 December 2016
    100% Paid
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 1st Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    Well I'm def do not have the skills to do the work for myself. As for the 3 months it was a guess. How long would it take a professional?
    Originally posted by Spoonhead88
    A joiner would strip the room back in a few hours, insulation may take 2-3 days, plasterboarding another day or two, then half a day for skirting. But he would have to coordinate with the electrician. Plus a day for the plasterers. 2 weeks would be a good and efficient time scale I reckon, add a bit of time for delays or coordinating people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,093Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter