Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stef0578
    • By stef0578 1st Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stef0578
    Convenience Store Responsibility of Customer Parking
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    Convenience Store Responsibility of Customer Parking 1st Dec 17 at 9:31 PM
    Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice, please.
    We have recently moved into a little village where there's only one convenience store (franchise) that the villagers rely on for supplies before driving to the nearest supermarket 5 miles away, located right next to my house. They have no customer parking.
    Since moving here we have faced lots of problems with customers parking and blocking our driveway even at 6.30am when I'm leaving for work.
    We have spoken to the shop owner about it who said that they would remind customers not to block our driveway. However, so far we didn't notice any efforts on their part. We have therefore placed road-cones to manage this issue as best as possible.
    My husband had to point out to a lady that she was obstructing our driveway and that it is illegal to do so. She did not like this and has now taken it upon herself to make our lives miserable by picking up our road- cones and chucking them onto the drive, every time she shops here (which is every day and we now have camera footage of this), setting off our dogs barking.
    My questions:
    1- would you think/ believe/ know if the owner of the shop has a responsibility to watch out for customers parking that cause nuisance to the village residence?
    2- how would you deal with such "lady" to stop her with this harassment?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thank you!
Page 2
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 2nd Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    According to our local police (NWales) as long as you can still get on your drive it’s not considered blocked ie in our case a “difficult neighbour” was deliberately parking over half of our access/dropped curb but as we could still manoeuvre on using the other half police said that was ok. However we were/are to let them know if things change and we are unable to get on at all! (CCTV installed as evidence]. Since we stopped getting bothered by it they started parking further down!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 2nd Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Isn't parking by a dropped kerb an offence?
    Do you have a mobile phone with camera?
    Take photo of offending car, and take in to local police station.

or

How steady is your hand?
    Do you have white paint?
    Can you draw an H-Bar?
    Originally posted by Guys Dad
    When it’s for pedestrian access to the pavement - there has to be another dropped kerb on the other side.
    • stef0578
    • By stef0578 2nd Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stef0578
    I guess I could paint a H bar myself. But wouldn't we get in trouble for it???
    • stef0578
    • By stef0578 2nd Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stef0578
    I am collating photographic evidence to see off it'll help our cause.
    I just came back home and found that a cone has been driven over and broken. Part of it was half way down the village!!!!
    I'm getting so angry over this. FUMING!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 2nd Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Did you leave that obstruction in the road? If so did you have council permission to cone off part of a public highway?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 2nd Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Yeah you can’t put out cone. That’s an offence.

Block in their car.
    • happybagger
    • By happybagger 2nd Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    happybagger
    Would that not be stopping their freedom?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 3rd Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Well yes, and?
    Do it by attempting to park on the drive. Then the fact they blocked the drive leaves them responsible.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 3rd Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,950 Posts
    • 3,096 Thanks
    k3lvc
    We have recently moved into a little village where there's only one convenience store (franchise) that the villagers rely on for supplies before driving to the nearest supermarket 5 miles away, located right next to my house. They have no customer parking.
    Originally posted by stef0578
    Advice from me is that you're the incomer in a little village and your acceptance by the current villagers will be judged on attitudes. By no means is it right that others block your driveway but passive-aggressive use of cones/blaming shopkeeper etc isn't likely to make you welcome. Instead of jumping at County Council/Highways Authority/MP who in all likelihood couldn't give two hoots what goes on in a little village how about engaging/involving yourself with the locals and gaining some respect from them - village council, local pub etc or invite them for housewarming. Villages can be unwelcoming places to newcomers - it's up to you to make your (positive) mark
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 3rd Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 3,215 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    all likelihood couldn't give two hoots what goes on in a little village how about
    Not true. They are very attentive when it comes round to elections. Are there any in May 2018?
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
    • happybagger
    • By happybagger 3rd Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    happybagger
    In all fairness, a "Please do not park across the driveway" or similar sign at the entrance is more likely to gain a positive outcome than putting cones out.

Most people in c-stores tend to spend less than 3 mins inside anyway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter