Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 1st Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    • 248Posts
    • 33Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Antivirus software for tablet?
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    Antivirus software for tablet? 1st Dec 17 at 7:14 PM
    Can anyone recommend antivirus, malware, spyware etc. protection for my Amazon Fire 7 please? I've never owned a tablet before.
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 1st Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,505 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    AVG and Lookout get 4stars +on the Amazon app store. I've used both over the years
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 1st Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    I use Sophos, it's one of the few that isn't full of ads or other rubbish you don't want.

I used to use AVG, switched away from it for some reason but can't remember why now...
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 1st Dec 17, 11:14 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:14 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:14 PM
    ESET is the one I use. But to be honest, Android doesn't really need a full blown antivirus as such
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 2nd Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    You don’t need antivirus on any phone or tablet.
    The way the operating system works makes them totally useless.
    The only thing they do is “remind” you that you really should purchase their big brothers for your actual computer.

Please please just uninstall them and carry on with your life
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 2nd Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    You donít need antivirus on any phone or tablet.
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    You're not concerned about all the malicious apps on the Play Store then?

Google Is Fighting A Massive Android Malware Outbreak -- Up To 21 Million Victims

Android may not have viruses as such but there are plenty of apps designed to steal data, serve ads, etc. etc.
    • john22
    • By john22 2nd Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:22 PM

Google Is Fighting A Massive Android Malware Outbreak -- Up To 21 Million Victims

Android may not have viruses as such but there are plenty of apps designed to steal data, serve ads, etc. etc.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    I would rather people took responsibility in educating themselves before willy nilly downloading apps. I don't see how putting antivirus software on their phone or tablet would fix the problem of already installing those apps. Thats like saying people on computers should just click on any links in any emails they get and hope to god their anti virus software protects them.

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted comes to mind!
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 2nd Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:51 PM

Originally posted by dj1471
    Yep there are rogue apps, and they can exhibit some undesirable behaviour,
    And do you know what antivirus software can do about that ? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Like I said, itís the way the operating system works . No app can see what another is doing, or affect its behaviour , nothing.

It is absolutely useless and itís a real bug bear of mine that they are allowed to advertise it as antivirus.
    The most useful thing an antivirus on a mobile or tablet can do is tell you that you have the option ďallow installation from unknown sourcesĒ ticked.

Please take this on board Iím sick of people asking about av for mobile devices, itís ridiculous
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 2nd Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 7,779 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    I'm still trying to get my head round Android's potential security vulnerabilities. I'd love to hear more opinions on the need (or not) for Android security software.

When I was new to Android, I played around with "antiviruses" and system cleaners/tweakers/optimisers and wrote them all off as snake oil. Except... I did once install a silly Lego game that MalwareBytes identified as malicious. I think it was from Amazon's repository.

The best protection people can take is by not installing obscure dodgy apps, not allowing apps unnecessary permissions, and not changing default Android security settings (to install from unknown sources, etc.). But, all that aside, is there any way to protect yourself from malicious apps on Google Play?

Installing the latest firmware updates is presumably quite important too. However, manufacturers drop support for phones after a few years. The latest stock firmware for my phone is Android 4.1.2, so I've installed a custom ROM running Android 7.x. But what do non-techies do? Should they throw away their phone as soon as the manufacturer stops providing OS updates?

And what about other potential vulnerabilities in Android? For example, I installed ESET USSD to protect my phone from harmful USSD codes. Is this kind of protection worth having?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eset.securedialer
    https://www.eset.com/tools/ussdtest/
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 2nd Dec 17, 10:36 PM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 4,852 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I wouldn't recommend anti virus on Android. As already said the apps cant see each other because each app effectively runs on the Linux kernel as a separate user with limited permissions and as you'd expect the "users" are unaware of eachother.

Running Antivirus is likely to lead to more problems than it can solve IMO. I've been running Android phones since it first came out and never used antivirus - never had any problems.
    • Space Cadet Smith
    • By Space Cadet Smith 3rd Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Space Cadet Smith
    Android doesn't need anti virus, unlike windows, android applications are sandboxed and can only access their own applications data, all other functionality needs the user (you) to grant permission.

So essentially as long as;

a) you only use the official store and don't enable unknown sources

b) you review what permissions any app is requesting

You will be fine. I wouldn't let the internet clickbait stories concern you, it's a storm in a teacup. There are over 2billion active Android devices in use daily, and real world problem are pretty non existent.
    Last edited by Space Cadet Smith; 03-12-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    • eddy
    • By eddy 3rd Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    eddy
    Antivirus Software Can Be Useful
    I bought a smartphone some years ago, and installed the paid for version of Kaspersky. which Barclays recommended and offered free to customers (until this week), and Kaspersky never found any issue.

Months after I bought the phone, someone posted feedback on the sales website stating that the phone came with malware pre-installed, and saying that Malwarebytes would identify the malware.

I installed the free version of Malwarebytes, and it did find the malware, so it can be useful to use antivirus software.

As regards my phone, I emailed the manufacturer's support, and they emailed me steps to download software to root my phone, download a later version of android, and then upgrade the phone to that version.
    • john22
    • By john22 3rd Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    I bought a smartphone some years ago, and installed the paid for version of Kaspersky. which Barclays recommended and offered free to customers (until this week), and Kaspersky never found any issue.

Months after I bought the phone, someone posted feedback on the sales website stating that the phone came with malware pre-installed, and saying that Malwarebytes would identify the malware.

I installed the free version of Malwarebytes, and it did find the malware, so it can be useful to use antivirus software.

As regards my phone, I emailed the manufacturer's support, and they emailed me steps to download software to root my phone, download a later version of android, and then upgrade the phone to that version.
    Originally posted by eddy
    Something not right there in the sense that a phone that comes from a company is told on their website that it has malware pre-installed and another customer runs antivirus/ malware software to find said problem. The company then tells that customer to root the phone to fix the issue?

That old saying I mentioned earlier of Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted comes to mind!

well I'm updating it to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted and lived a healthy long life and dies comes to mind.
    • eddy
    • By eddy 3rd Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    eddy
    Something not right there in the sense that a phone that comes from a company is told on their website that it has malware pre-installed and another customer runs antivirus/ malware software to find said problem. The company then tells that customer to root the phone to fix the issue?
    Originally posted by john22
    That is exactly what happened. The phone came with malware pre-installed, whether by the manufacturer or seller who was on Amazon Marketplace.
    Another purchaser later put feedback on Amazon regarding the malware. I contacted the manufacturer's support because the phone was out of warranty, and they emailed me the steps to root and upgrade the phone.
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 4th Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Thank you all. This thread has been enlightening.
    • john22
    • By john22 4th Dec 17, 7:30 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    That is exactly what happened. The phone came with malware pre-installed, whether by the manufacturer or seller who was on Amazon Marketplace.
    Another purchaser later put feedback on Amazon regarding the malware. I contacted the manufacturer's support because the phone was out of warranty, and they emailed me the steps to root and upgrade the phone.
    Thatís a complete failure of the manufacturer or seller of the phone. I would not be buying anything from whoever is to blame. Definitely not downloading antivirus software to check for malware that should never have been there in the first place.
    • eddy
    • By eddy 4th Dec 17, 10:41 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    eddy
    Antivirus Software Can Be Useful
    Definitely not downloading antivirus software to check for malware that should never have been there in the first place.
    Originally posted by john22
    Each person is entitled to take as much a blinkered or head in the sand approach as he or she likes.

Of course malware "should never have been there in the first place", but in real life the unexpected does happen. Therefore, it can be useful to have antivirus.

In the case of the smartphone I mentioned, purchasers who took the wise precaution of installing an antivirus such as Malwarebytes would have been alerted to the malware straightaway and returned their phone for a full refund.

Those purchasers would have been glad that they decided to install the antivirus.
    • john22
    • By john22 4th Dec 17, 11:04 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    Each person is entitled to take as much a blinkered or head in the sand approach as he or she likes.

Of course malware "should never have been there in the first place", but in real life the unexpected does happen. Therefore, it can be useful to have antivirus.

In the case of the smartphone I mentioned, purchasers who took the wise precaution of installing an antivirus such as Malwarebytes would have been alerted to the malware straightaway and returned their phone for a full refund.

Those purchasers would have been glad that they decided to install the antivirus.
    Of course the unexpected does happen but viruses and malware should never be on a new product. I would still be !!!!ed even if it was second hand and the fix should be the unit is replaced not installing antivirus software or rooting because that just breeds fear and ignorance to the point that people install it and in some cases pay for it when thats not the solution.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Not sure why my posts got removed - And i still want to know which manuacturer advises to root thir own phone !!
    That is simply crazy
    • SeanDigiSave
    • By SeanDigiSave 5th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SeanDigiSave
    I use Vipre across all devices. Very good, cheap. Low load. Doesn't overload your device with processes. Always gets my vote.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

6,741Users online

Martin's Twitter