Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CarlyS123
    • By CarlyS123 1st Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CarlyS123
    Can car insurance solicitors force you to settle?
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    Can car insurance solicitors force you to settle? 1st Dec 17 at 6:35 PM
    My car got hit by another driver and we reported it to our insurance right away and we thought it was done with. It turns out that the other drivers insurance was ignoring our claim and they kept it up so my insurance filed a court claim against the other driver. We then we finally find out the other driver was disputing the claim via the defense they provided. Their defense is weak and we have witness who saw the accident, they are currently writing their statement. Our solicitor said that usually both solicitors want to settle as its very expensive to go to court. Can the other drivers solicitors and insurance force the driver to settle or can he literally just keep denying that he did anything wrong despite all the evidence and drag us to court?
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 1st Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    His insurers will make the final decision, not him. If the insurers feel the best option is to settle, they will do so. Just like your insurers can make the decision in regards to your side of things.
    • LouiseE88
    • By LouiseE88 4th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LouiseE88
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    Not sure how to set up a new question so apologies in advance!! I’m in a similar situation. A man went into the back of my car. Quite a lot of damage and due to the injury claim the solicitor is also dealing with the car claim too via the other persons insurance (mine refused to let me claim my excess so gave me the option to go through his instead) so anyhow this was 3 months ago - car is a write-off with over 4K worth of damages and I’m still waiting for the cheque. The solicitor sent off an engineers report which the insurancers said had been sent off with the injury claim by accident so it was sent off again and they keep fobbing off my solicitor saying it’s in the engineer’s hands now but it’s taking so long!! Still in a hire car which they know they’ll be billed for and paying for finance on a car that’s being scrapped. Just feel like I’m stuck as I cannot contact his insurance directly (liability has been accepted so there should be no issue) Just so stressed over it all and my anxiety is sky high. Can they refuse to pay the 4K that is owed to me? Surely if they plan on arguing it they should have done it by now. Just don’t know what to do!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 33,509 Posts
    • 17,390 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    Speak to your solicitor!

Explain your anxiety and ask for reassurance
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 30,408 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    Not sure how to set up a new question so apologies in advance!! I’m in a similar situation. A man went into the back of my car. Quite a lot of damage and due to the injury claim the solicitor is also dealing with the car claim too via the other persons insurance (mine refused to let me claim my excess so gave me the option to go through his instead) so anyhow this was 3 months ago - car is a write-off with over 4K worth of damages and I’m still waiting for the cheque. The solicitor sent off an engineers report which the insurancers said had been sent off with the injury claim by accident so it was sent off again and they keep fobbing off my solicitor saying it’s in the engineer’s hands now but it’s taking so long!! Still in a hire car which they know they’ll be billed for and paying for finance on a car that’s being scrapped. Just feel like I’m stuck as I cannot contact his insurance directly (liability has been accepted so there should be no issue) Just so stressed over it all and my anxiety is sky high. Can they refuse to pay the 4K that is owed to me? Surely if they plan on arguing it they should have done it by now. Just don’t know what to do!
    Originally posted by LouiseE88
    If you click on a sub forum you will see the new thread button near the top of the page.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

334Posts Today

2,304Users online

Martin's Twitter