Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • a&akay
    • By a&akay 1st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 515Posts
    • 182Thanks
    a&akay
    Birmingham Midshires 1.45%
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    Birmingham Midshires 1.45% 1st Dec 17 at 6:31 PM
    Showing on their website. As I have a 1.3%, I've just applied for this online. It was set up instantly. Just need to transfer the savings across between the 2. Each is linked to a different feeder so bit of a faff. I'll keep each open to satisfy DDs.

BM did a site upgrade today. Both my 1.3% account and the 1.45% are now showing as 1.45% so I've gained an extra DD for the Tesco DD withdrawal. Faster payments have gone into the latter account within a few hours OK. These are from a 123 account, which I've just closed, where Martin's analysis shows it's not worth keeping if the 123 DD cashbacks don't make up for the £5 fee. I've kept the date of opening of the 2 for when the rate drops, unless other instant access savers are offered with a better % in the meantime.
    Last edited by a&akay; 03-12-2017 at 6:12 PM. Reason: Update
Page 2
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 7th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    polymaff
    Maybe Barclays are trying to be too clever here?
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Spot on. The other code is a Barclays Wolverhampton sort code - for Wolverhampton 9, whatever that means within Barclays.

Why the heck didn't BM use a bank within LBG or its predecessor owners?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 7th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    glider3560
    Why the heck didn't BM use a bank within LBG or its predecessor owners?
    Originally posted by polymaff
    I asked this in another thread. No-one really had an answer, other than something left over from the old building society days.

I cannot see how it would be difficult for them to change to a LBG holding account. Surely it would save money in the long term?

• Speculator
    • By Speculator 7th Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    Speculator
    Open one of these accounts (1.3%) for my wife on 7th Nov and completely forgot about it. Only remembered when she checked her Direct Debits on her Club Lloyds current account and noticed a Direct Debit from BM that's never been paid.

Anyway, checked the pile of junk mail waiting to be shredded and found the letter from BM requesting a cheque from her linked account.

Sent the cheque off last Thursday, 2 months late. Hope they can still open the account for her!
    Last edited by Speculator; 07-01-2018 at 8:39 PM. Reason: .
    • Ifts
    • By Ifts 7th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Ifts
    Has anybody else found it impossible to pay money into this account by direct transfer/faster payments? I have found that Barclays online banking will not accept the sort code 20-97-78 as stated on the BM site. It automatically defaults to 20-97-86 and then indicates that the code is incorrect.
    Originally posted by retiree
    I have made Faster Payments into my BM Savings account ok, though I did have the sort code automatically change for me.

I set up a new Faster Payment from my HSBC account using the 20-97-78 sort code (which I have used for many years paying into a BM Savings account), then the next day I went to make another payment and noticed the sort code had changed in my HSBC internet banking payee list to 20-97-86. I thought I had got the sort code wrong a day earlier and the payment I made probably didn't make it to my BM Savings account, but when I logged into my BM account it was shown as credited.

Like you the 20-97-78 automatically defaulted to 20-97-86 for me (only difference I was making a FP from HSBC and not Barclays), I checked with Birmingham Midshires and they confirmed the 20-97-86 is correct.
    Last edited by Ifts; 07-01-2018 at 9:16 PM.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 7th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    glider3560
    Just checked my Metro Bank payee list and it has also changed to 86.

Maybe BM used the current account switch service ... same thing happens when you pay someone who has done the same.

• retiree
    • By retiree 8th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    retiree
    Thanks to all who commented. I spoke to Barclays for over an hour and they didnít know what was going wrong. Eventually I worked it out myself. When the sort code changed automatically, the leading zeros of the BM account number were simultaneously deleted. For the benefit of anyone else who has the same problem, you have to note down the new sort code and then start the whole process again from very beginning using that code when prompted.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 8th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    polymaff
    Isn't Barclay's slogan "Becoming the 'Go To' bank"?

Apparently not if it's Wolverhampton

https://youtu.be/FVM3wiISxU0
    • patientperson
    • By patientperson 8th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    patientperson
    BM Fast payments
    Sort code: 20-97-86
    Account: 10968870
    Reference: Your BM savings account number

Works fine for me
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 8th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Mchambers

Works fine for me
    Originally posted by patientperson
    And for me as well.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3,920 Posts
    • 8,020 Thanks
    EachPenny
    And for me as well.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    You must be gutted. Another compensation claim missed out on
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 8th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    youngretired
    I've just sent £10 via the sort code 209778 account 00968773 with my reference and Halifax sent it to those details but it changed from a payment to a person to a bill payment as account details recognised as Birmingham Midshire.

My savings account hasn't been credited yet but not surprised as time of day.

Having now read this forum will my payment reach my account?
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 8th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    18cc
    No problems here I used to 209 778 sort code with no problem at all from nationwide
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 8th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    [QUOTE=patientperson;73684269]Sort code: 20-97-86

Works fine for me[/Quote

Are you a Barclays customer, did you use their on line system for the FP?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 8th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    glider3560

Works fine for me
    On the BM website, it says to use these details:
    Sort Code : 20-97-78
    Account number : 00968773

However, when I sent a payment from Metro Bank, it changed the details to:
    Sort Code : 20-97-86

Seems there might be more than one holding account in use.

• patientperson
    • By patientperson 9th Jan 18, 5:16 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    patientperson
    BM fast payment
    [QUOTE=FOREVER21;73686068]

Works fine for me[/Quote

Are you a Barclays customer, did you use their on line system for the FP?
    Yes to both questions.
    • patientperson
    • By patientperson 9th Jan 18, 8:06 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    patientperson
    BM Faster payments
    http://www.birminghammidshires.co.uk/existing-savers/managing-your-account/general-account-management

I want to make a deposit. What are your bank details?

For payments through the Faster Payments Service:
    Sort Code 20 97 78 Account Number 00968773 For telegraphic transfers:
    Sort Code 20 97 78 Account Number 10968870 You must quote your personal account number as your reference.

Using Barclays Bank the hand held device for calculating a code would not accept 00968773 .. hence a search on FAQ

Also Barclays automatically changed the Bank sort code from 20-97-78 to 20-97-86
    Last edited by patientperson; 09-01-2018 at 8:12 AM. Reason: additionnal info
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 9th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    It may be that the sort code has changed due to the ring fencing changes. The original sort code being retained for Barclay's retail customers moving into the ring fenced bank, and corporate accounts remaining with Barclays Bank PLC being moved to a new sort code. The registered address for the new sort code is their Leicester Servicing Centre.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 9th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    youngretired
    Update - money went into the account fine last night and payments still showing 209778 00968773 today, so looks like it all depends on which bank you are sending payments from.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 9th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 7,576 Thanks
    colsten
    On the BM website, it says to use these details:
    Sort Code : 20-97-78
    Originally posted by glider3560
    In my account, it gives the payment details as 20-97-86 00968773.

Money is credited to my BM account the day I send it, though I believe it only works like that on working days, and I am not sure what the cut-off time is each day. I usually do all my money stuff in the mornings.
    • Ifts
    • By Ifts 10th Jan 18, 2:53 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Ifts
    It may be that the sort code has changed due to the ring fencing changes.
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    Correct it's to do with the ring fencing changes (from what I'm told).

When the sort code in my HSBC payee list changed from 20-97-78 to 20-97-86, I asked HSBC why this change had automatically occurred in my HSBC online banking and they told me it was to do with the ring fencing changes.

BM Savings also confirmed on the phone that the sort code changed due to the ring fencing changes.

I have been a BM Savings customer for a number of years now and had the normal account number and sort code set up in my payee list on several different accounts that I sent Faster Payments from, the sort code has automatically changed from 20-97-78 to 20-97-86 on all of them*.

edit: * The sort code has changed from 20-97-78 to 20-97-86 on all the accounts that I have recently made a faster payment to my BM Savings account. Looking at my Santander Everyday Saver account payee list, the sort code for BM Savings is still showing as 20-97-78 - but I have not made a faster payment from this account to my BM Savings account recently and am pretty sure if I was to make a faster payment from my Santander Everyday Saver account then the sort code will change automatically to the 20-97-86 like it has already done so on my Santander 123 accounts - that I have made a faster payment to my BM Savings account recently.
    Last edited by Ifts; 11-01-2018 at 5:46 PM.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

319Posts Today

3,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin