Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gridley
    • By gridley 1st Dec 17, 6:09 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gridley
    Builder requesting 2nd valuation
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:09 PM
    Builder requesting 2nd valuation 1st Dec 17 at 6:09 PM
    The new build I want to buy has been downvalued by the bank valuer and the builders requested a report as to why. The builders are now paying for a resubmission of our mortgage application TO THE SAME BANK to get a second valuation in the hope that it will be valued to what they want... Help? Is this right? What should I do...
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 1st Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    You make it sound like the builder is doing this without your consent - but that would not be possible.

So has your bank really agreed to ignore the current valuation and potentially accept another valuation - presumably from a different valuer?

If the second valuation comes in higher, I guess it's up to you whether you proceed on that basis (or whether the first low valuation has made you think it's too risky).
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 1st Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 14,177 Posts
    • 76,267 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    The new build I want to buy has been downvalued by the bank valuer and the builders requested a report as to why. The builders are now paying for a resubmission of our mortgage application TO THE SAME BANK to get a second valuation in the hope that it will be valued to what they want... Help? Is this right? What should I do...
    Originally posted by gridley
    You should definitely go on getting valuations until you get one that suits your builder. It's not as if you'll have the mortgage to pay off for the rest of your life .....

Seriously, there's a balance between being incredibly keen to get a roof over your head and overpaying so much it's a millstone round your neck.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • gridley
    • By gridley 2nd Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gridley
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    You should definitely go on getting valuations until you get one that suits your builder. It's not as if you'll have the mortgage to pay off for the rest of your life .....

Seriously, there's a balance between being incredibly keen to get a roof over your head and overpaying so much it's a millstone round your neck.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    I just feel that the builder is getting a second valuation I suit them. I donít want to be overpaying and losing out when I sell on in the future. I know any property is a risk. Just feels a little off to me - they have been contacting managers at the bank and itís almosy as if they are bribing them to make the valuation suit them. If the valuation comes back downvalued again it would be good for me because the builder will most likely drop the price for me.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 14,177 Posts
    • 76,267 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    I just feel that the builder is getting a second valuation I suit them. I donít want to be overpaying and losing out when I sell on in the future. I know any property is a risk. Just feels a little off to me - they have been contacting managers at the bank and itís almosy as if they are bribing them to make the valuation suit them. If the valuation comes back downvalued again it would be good for me because the builder will most likely drop the price for me.
    Youíre under no obligation to proceed, you know!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 2nd Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    If you don't feel the property is worth the price you offered, it's time to move on and look elsewhere.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 2nd Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    Be cautious if the ‘price drop’ comes in the form of incentives that will allow you to fund a difference in the final valuation and the price you agree e.g. the developer offers to pay for your white goods or something.

This sort of incentive probably won’t increase the resale value of the property when you come to sell. You’ll have overpaid in that instance.

Do you not see the first valuation as an indication that you should be considering dropping your offer or walking away?
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 2nd Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    Just feels a little off to me - they have been contacting managers at the bank and it’s almosy as if they are bribing them to make the valuation suit them.
    Somebody is not telling you the truth - or you are jumping to incorrect conclusions.

Your bank will not discuss your mortgage (or the valuation) with the builder/seller.

Only you (and nobody else) can request a re-valuation. And if you do decide to request it, the bank may still say "no".

Edit to add...

I guess it's possible that your mortgage advisor is requesting it on your behalf - but if you don't want that to happen - just say so.
    Last edited by eddddy; 02-12-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin