Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Q*bert
    • By Q*bert 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Q*bert
    Working Outside Cold Weather - Using Own Car As Shelter
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    Working Outside Cold Weather - Using Own Car As Shelter 1st Dec 17 at 5:55 PM
    Recently started work at a security company and from the off the company are trying their arm.

I'm on night shift, working outside and it right now December, it is freezing cold. The only source of warmth is my own car, but, even then...The engine needs to be started to turn on the heater to provide warmth.

This is not my responsibility and I'd like to ask the company for some extra cash for fuel or they can pay for somewhere warm...seems fair enough to me..!
Page 2
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 2nd Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    nicechap
    Cool replies, pity some of them suck a bit like...You know, what to expect like..lol.

Thing is, nobody turns up with a car and according to you lot, tough !!!!, who gives a f**k...You knew the score.

Yeah, I worked at a sawmill..Any of you armchair warriors lifted any beech hardwood railway sleepers onto a stack when it's snowing.

Pity...

Thing is the company are supposed to supply a place, but I suppose thats Austerity for you.

And really I do feel for the relatives of some of the plonkers who've replied...Happy are we...???
    Originally posted by Q*bert

Presumably your union has been able to help better than MSE?
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 2nd Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 9,540 Thanks
    patman99
    So, what do you do when you need the loo?.

Surely they don't expect you to hold it in for the entire shift?.

I do sympathize with the op as I worked in a factory which had no heating installed, so I know what it is like to work in the freezing cold.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £759.94/ £1000 (that's 75.49%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 2nd Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    sangie595
    As I thought. Complete b*****it poster. Not even a great attempt at trolling.

OP, if you can lift railway sleepers into piles when it's snowing, a bit of cold when patrolling wouldn't bother you.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 2nd Dec 17, 11:41 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    So, what do you do when you need the loo?.

Surely they don't expect you to hold it in for the entire shift?.

I do sympathize with the op as I worked in a factory which had no heating installed, so I know what it is like to work in the freezing cold.
    Originally posted by patman99
    Reminds me of the potential troll thread where the single-mother took a dump on a food conveyor belt and stood there in her own mess because it was required if she wanted to keep her job.

Lots of poo related threads in the employment section,
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 5th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    Cool replies, pity some of them suck a bit like...You know, what to expect like..lol.

Thing is, nobody turns up with a car and according to you lot, tough !!!!, who gives a f**k...You knew the score.

Yeah, I worked at a sawmill..Any of you armchair warriors lifted any beech hardwood railway sleepers onto a stack when it's snowing.

Pity...

Thing is the company are supposed to supply a place, but I suppose thats Austerity for you.

And really I do feel for the relatives of some of the plonkers who've replied...Happy are we...???
    If I *had* to work in a sawmill or security I would. The thing is though, I spent a lot more time pursuing different types of work, including what I call 'nugget jobs', so that I DON'T have to do that sort of work. I'm referring to the likes of KFC, Maccies, Subway, Retail, Call Centers etc.

Only you are responsible for the fact that you've got to freeze your !!! off 5 nights a week for money, or lift heavy wood. Only you are responsible for changing that. So yea, keep that in mind next time you have a bit of a pop at some random internet strangers who should mean nothing to you.
    Last edited by stuartJo1989; 05-12-2017 at 7:44 PM.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 6th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 3,433 Posts
    • 5,260 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Presumably you were lifting them in shorts and a T-shirt since you don't seem to be aware of how to dress for the cold.

Ask the company to supply you with a stack of railway sleepers, then you can lift them from one pile to another to keep yourself warm.
    • Q*bert
    • By Q*bert 9th Dec 17, 12:25 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Q*bert
    As I thought. Complete b*****it poster. Not even a great attempt at trolling.

OP, if you can lift railway sleepers into piles when it's snowing, a bit of cold when patrolling wouldn't bother you.
    Originally posted by sangie595

Thing is, with regards to patrolling there are finer points but you've already proved that...

Were talking about this like walking on concrete compared to working in a dutch barn style environment with some wooden flooring, a brazier fire...

My work today was a 12 hour shift at a local event, open streets...wind and snow and a penetrating chill factor.

All I'm looking out for are a few tips and hints how to better deal with the situation and it's not through lack of experience at my end.
    We do have an unheated room to go to but some of the other workers are not exactly playing ball and allowing other workers to get a break ...simply by chatting to event workers and so that particular aspect can be quite difficult..

And today we only had 2 security when there normally is 4 and I don't want to put my own health at risk.

In retrospect I think I'll contact my employer and point this out and if they don't want to play ball then AFAIC it's game over and deal with whatever answers are given at a later time.

No SH*T people today was cold ad not one warm drink was offered to any one of us and there are food stalls on this site and that in my books is just pure greed.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 9th Dec 17, 5:04 AM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    comeandgo
    What are you wearing? I have been out in very cold conditions, minus 20 once, and suggest you wear natural fibre clothing. I know it can be expensive but I find it does work. Marino leggings or tights, long sleeved Marino tee shirts, can you get a pair of fleece under trousers like bikers wear. Wool socks, a feather gillet under your outer jacket.
    I see that some of the supermarkets are now selling pocket hand warmers, they last about an hour. How about a few flasks of hot water and you can fill a hot water bottle when you get back to the car and use it to defrost feet or just cuddle it. A blanket in your car to wrap up in during your breaks.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 9th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    seashore22
    Reminds me of the potential troll thread where the single-mother took a dump on a food conveyor belt and stood there in her own mess because it was required if she wanted to keep her job.

Lots of poo related threads in the employment section,
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    There was a well known poo troll on mumsnet (I haven't been there for years) and no reason to suppose that they don't use other sites. I don't see how the poo trolls are connected to this thread though, thank goodness.
    Last edited by seashore22; 09-12-2017 at 8:11 AM.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 9th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 18,827 Posts
    • 19,143 Thanks
    jobbingmusician

No SH*T people today was cold ad not one warm drink was offered to any one of us and there are food stalls on this site and that in my books is just pure greed.
    What? There's a sense of entitlement here I really don't understand. Stall holders will have paid for their pitch, and the money they pay includes security services. Why should they subsidise you with hot drinks as well, because you CBA to bring one from home?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • w06
    • By w06 9th Dec 17, 10:52 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    w06
    layers, several thin layers is much more effective than a thick layer because each layer traps air that warms up and insulates. Long johns and thermal top, merino of you can afford it, any if not, even the cheapest will make a difference. Long sleeve t shirt under shirt, vest under that. Wind proof water proof coat, hat, gloves - again thin gloves inside thick outer gloves makes a big difference

Flask of something hot, not anyone else's responsibility to provide that, easy to sort for yourself though.

if still cold you can get relatively cheap heated gloves and body warmers online or in places like Maplin
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 10th Dec 17, 12:30 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    xapprenticex

Flask of something hot,
    Originally posted by w06
    A flask of something cold could warm you up too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin