Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Q*bert
    • By Q*bert 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Q*bert
    Working Outside Cold Weather - Using Own Car As Shelter
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    Working Outside Cold Weather - Using Own Car As Shelter 1st Dec 17 at 5:55 PM
    Recently started work at a security company and from the off the company are trying their arm.

I'm on night shift, working outside and it right now December, it is freezing cold. The only source of warmth is my own car, but, even then...The engine needs to be started to turn on the heater to provide warmth.

This is not my responsibility and I'd like to ask the company for some extra cash for fuel or they can pay for somewhere warm...seems fair enough to me..!
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 1st Dec 17, 6:01 PM
    • 15,405 Posts
    • 38,680 Thanks
    elsien
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:01 PM
    https://worksmart.org.uk/health-advice/illnesses-and-injuries/work-illnesses/colds-and-flu/i-often-have-work-outside-even

You need to decide how much of an issue you want to make of it, given that they can get shut of you any time they like. Is the PPE provided adequate?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Q*bert
    • By Q*bert 1st Dec 17, 6:11 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Q*bert
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:11 PM
    Well, if thats how they are going to play this then.....[They are an agency].

The PPE is so so and there is no night time pay rate...flat rate across the board, no overtime. Only took the job because Xmas is coming up.

They can get another mug, but I'd still like to explore the legal aspects and individual companies liabilities
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 1st Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    I guess it depends what the job states. Do they expect you to foot patrol an area or can you sit in your car and keep a watch? Sitting in the car for long periods might just give the impression you are not doing much. Harsh but I suppose you knew what the job entailed so the company probably won't want to pay you extra for fuel etc. Do you have decent warm clothing? I'd prob wrap up really warm. Base layers, balaclava , gloves, get a hot water bottle, flask of hot tea etc etc.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 1st Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    It's December. In this country it's usually cold in December. You took a job working security which includes work outside. Was there some part of cold that wasn't clear? Are you expecting company to change the climate for you?

There is no right to extra pay for night work or overtime.

If you don't like the job and don't need the job, quit.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 1st Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,793 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    Well, if thats how they are going to play this then.....[They are an agency].

The PPE is so so and there is no night time pay rate...flat rate across the board, no overtime. Only took the job because Xmas is coming up.

They can get another mug, but I'd still like to explore the legal aspects and individual companies liabilities
    Originally posted by Q*bert
    You are aware that you'll be sanctioned if you intend to claim Jobseeekers Allowance again?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 1st Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    You are aware that you'll be sanctioned if you intend to claim Jobseeekers Allowance again?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    I assumed this was some extra work for Christmas. The OP only took the job because it's Christmas and they thought they ought to work for a bit? If that is the case, a well deserved sanction. Although some posters around here seem to think that work is an optional extra...
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 1st Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 35,702 Posts
    • 45,974 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    It's December. In this country it's usually cold in December. You took a job working security which includes work outside. Was there some part of cold that wasn't clear? Are you expecting company to change the climate for you?

There is no right to extra pay for night work or overtime.

If you don't like the job and don't need the job, quit.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    And this is helpful in what way.
    The op really doesnt need a lecture,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • dharm999
    • By dharm999 1st Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    dharm999
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    Recently started work at a security company and from the off the company are trying their arm.

I'm on night shift, working outside and it right now December, it is freezing cold. The only source of warmth is my own car, but, even then...The engine needs to be started to turn on the heater to provide warmth.

This is not my responsibility and I'd like to ask the company for some extra cash for fuel or they can pay for somewhere warm...seems fair enough to me..!
    Any decent security company would not leave you in a car, what happens if you need to go to the toilet? We would never do that, and if this is what they try on, what else are they cutting corners with? Have they given you a torch to do your patrols or a phone to make check calls? There are far better companies out there than this one, and they aren't hard to find.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 1st Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Get a proper winter coat, gloves, maybe a balaclava and decent boots and some thick trousers. You should be okay then.

But you dont even get a hut or anything to sit in?
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 2nd Dec 17, 12:17 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    My dad did security about 20 years ago when I was a child.

He once told me a story of a time when, in December, he was on a 12 hour shift in a hut with some dodgy heater which was probably spewing out carbon monoxide (it was "making him sleepy"). He jokes that he had to rotate from warming up in front of the dodgy heater to opening the door and letting the icy cold oxygen into the hut.

Then he speaks about his time on a waste facility.... 12 hours marching up and down a site which smelt of an eggy fart gone bad (in the icy cold).

Fair play to him, because it made sure that me and my brother had a roof over our head and a loaf of bread to eat.

So yea, no sympathy here.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 2nd Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    And this is helpful in what way.
    The op really doesnt need a lecture,
    Originally posted by McKneff
    And you have better advice then? Where is it? This is the job. The OP took a job that requires outside security work in December. And exactly how are they doing security work sitting in their car?

Please find me the legislation that requires the employer to pay a premium for night work, for it being cold, or for overtime. None of these things should come as a surprise to the OP. They will have been given the rate of pay in their terms of employment. They will presumably have realised that it's cold in December if you take a job working outside. So what are they complaining about?

Assuming, of course, that we aren't being played. Which I suspect we are. There's always been a simple answer to not liking your new job. It doesn't require posting on here to work that out.
    Last edited by sangie595; 02-12-2017 at 8:40 AM.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 2nd Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    nicechap
    Maybe invest in some thermal underwear - Aldi have merino wool stuff on offer and its brilliant. You could then claim it on tax if you don't use it for anything else.

As Wainwright once said - "There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Wearing the correct clothes will mean there is no need to put the heating on in the car. Thermal underwear, layers plus boots and a couple of pairs of socks is what you need.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 2nd Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 15,153 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    https://www.damart.co.uk/C-322636-mens-thermals
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 2nd Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 9,416 Posts
    • 17,125 Thanks
    Pennywise
    Wearing the correct clothes will mean there is no need to put the heating on in the car. Thermal underwear, layers plus boots and a couple of pairs of socks is what you need.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    And keep active, i.e. walking around instead of standing/sitting still. Isn't that what security should be doing anyway?

I used to do 8 hour night time foot patrols when I was in the police, typically 10pm to 6am. With just an hour in the station for a break. With proper clothing and keeping moving, you're fine.
    • were
    • By were 2nd Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    were
    If you do go down the claiming route, as them to pay for some cloths to mop up condensation, and some window demister fluid too
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 2nd Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2

Your employer (security firm) will have needed to have done both risk assessment and a method statement.

Ask to see them..also what does your assignment instructions state.

Dont forget they need to supply facilities for your health and safety.

Feel free to PM me..Security manager so happy to help.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • Q*bert
    • By Q*bert 2nd Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Q*bert
    Cool replies, pity some of them suck a bit like...You know, what to expect like..lol.

Thing is, nobody turns up with a car and according to you lot, tough !!!!, who gives a f**k...You knew the score.

Yeah, I worked at a sawmill..Any of you armchair warriors lifted any beech hardwood railway sleepers onto a stack when it's snowing.

Pity...

Thing is the company are supposed to supply a place, but I suppose thats Austerity for you.

And really I do feel for the relatives of some of the plonkers who've replied...Happy are we...???
    • Timalay
    • By Timalay 2nd Dec 17, 6:36 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Timalay
    Buy a good pair of thermals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter