Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hydrobam
    • By Hydrobam 1st Dec 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hydrobam
    Inverse commutation
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:53 PM
    Inverse commutation 1st Dec 17 at 5:53 PM
    I am considering retiring in the next year and would receive a pension and a lump sum. One option available is to buy additional pension with some or all of the lump sum, which is called inverse commutation. Does anyone know if inverse commutation is restricted to the £40,000 annual maximum set by the government for paying into a pension or can you pay more without a penalty? If there is that restriction, will the £40,000 need to include the money paid in by my employer that year?
Page 1
    • Economic
    • By Economic 1st Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Economic
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    Irrelevant! You are not paying into the pension, you are choosing how to take the money out of the pension.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 1st Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    Check your scheme rules, but you should be able to reverse-commute as much as you want. I reverse-commuted all the TFLS for my defined-benefits pension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter