Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • enook77
    • By enook77 1st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 10Thanks
    enook77
    3 year old CCJ
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    3 year old CCJ 1st Dec 17 at 5:47 PM
    Hello all,

I have an old CCJ (long story from a private parking company) for £145.

This was issued in Feb 2014...so coming up to 4 years old in Feb 2018.

Now my credit files were showing in the fair/poor categories and I thought I would struggle to get any credit until after the CCJ drops off in 2020.

I know CCJs are not linked to addresses but to the individual but we moved 3 years ago so the old address where the CCJ was registered will not get mentioned on credit applucations.

Very recently my credit score (Score haters - I know its just a number and doesn't mean anything) on Clearscore has doubled and all of a sudden I am in the 'Good' category....nothing else has changed...I have lived without new credit since finding out about the CCJ...maintaining existing credit cards and paying off in full.

So I thought I would check my eligibility for a new credit card....and the results were very positive...the top one came back as 100% approved.....so i applied and got it.

I now have a 5k limit and 0% on purchases for 28 months (which takes me past the CCJ drop off point).

Can someone explain if the address issue has had an impact or what else would cause this big change....I feel I am over a very big hurdle.

Thanks

E
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 1st Dec 17, 5:58 PM
    • 2,699 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:58 PM
    Does your credit report not show any 'linked' addresses?
    • enook77
    • By enook77 1st Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    enook77
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    Yeah

Noddle shows my previous address as a 'linked address'

It is also listed on Clearscore.

Thanks

E.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 1st Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,699 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    Time is a healer as they say.

Not to say that every lender would give you credit at this time mind you.
    • enook77
    • By enook77 2nd Dec 17, 9:50 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    enook77
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:50 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:50 PM
    Tarambor - When applying for this credit card they asked for my address for the last 3 years and not beyond that. I gave them the correct information as I have lived at this address for over 3 years.

Obviously if they ask for my address for the last 5 years I wouldn't lie and would provide them my previous address too.

But for the majority of small/medium credit applications it seems to be the last 3 years that they require.

E.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 3rd Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 12,668 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    But for the majority of small/medium credit applications it seems to be the last 3 years that they require.
    Originally posted by enook77
    This is correct, if every lender declined credit to every applicant for the full 6 years, they would most likely go out of business.

There has to be a compromise between doing business, and the risk involved, my bank only takes the last 6 month credit history into account for most loan/credit card applications, your lender will of been aware of the CCJ if they searched that far back, if not then it didn't matter to them, and you have done nothing wrong.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,867Posts Today

7,322Users online

Martin's Twitter