Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 1st Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 705Posts
    • 368Thanks
    RG2015
    NS&I 3 Year Bond 2.20%
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    NS&I 3 Year Bond 2.20% 1st Dec 17 at 5:43 PM
    I have just noticed that NS&I are now offering a 3 year bond at 2.20% with a maximum of £1 million per person. This is in addition to the 3 year 2.20% bond that is limited to £3,000 per person.

I assume that this is new as it it not listed on the main MSE savings page. It is though surprising that there has been no publicity about this.

There are also some other new 1 and 3 year bonds with quite good rates.
Page 3
    • aberlyfid_2000
    • By aberlyfid_2000 24th Dec 17, 4:05 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    aberlyfid_2000
    seems like a good deal compared to current interest rates, even those promotional ones.

the interest penalty on withdrawals isn't all that great as it is in effect an insurance policy against rising rates, as you can always put your money elsewhere if they rise (substantially) over the next three year period.
    • Threewheeler
    • By Threewheeler 30th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Threewheeler
    What about the five year term issue 51? For customers renewing a maturing bond, how does the maths work for cashing in part?
    Threewheeler
    • honestsammy
    • By honestsammy 4th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    honestsammy
    Sorry for a bit of a noddy question, and I think I already know the answer to this but....

When you open the account you invest a lump sum, but can you continue to add money like a regular saver or do you have to open a new bond every time you want to invest new money?
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 4th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,742 Posts
    • 4,569 Thanks
    ColdIron
    It's a new bond every time

27. As Bonds have a specified term, it is not possible to
    invest further money in a particular Bond once it has been
    issued. Where a person purchases Bonds of a particular Issue
    on different dates, a new Bond will be issued in respect of
    each purchase.

https://www.nsandi.com/files/published_files/asset/pdf/guaranteed-growth-bonds-brochure-print-friendly.pdf
    • honestsammy
    • By honestsammy 6th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    honestsammy
    Thanks ColdIron - I thought so. Off to open my bond now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,297Posts Today

8,424Users online

Martin's Twitter