Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sarahb22
    • By Sarahb22 1st Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Sarahb22
    ATM Distraction Theft Lloyds
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    ATM Distraction Theft Lloyds 1st Dec 17 at 5:36 PM
    My 19 year old son who is a student in Manchester has been victim of ATM card theft.. Came out of a nightclub at 4.00am went to use ATM and was distracted by someone asking him to change 2 fivers....
    Didn't realise til he got home that his card was gone. He tried to report online but website was down.
    Lloyds phoned him next morning to ask if he had made a small payment at a convenience store and he checked his banking app to see that £1,100ish had come out in several transactions overnight which he told them.
    Called police to report it, got a case number for Lloyds who seemed at the time to think he would get a refund.
    Not heard anything from them for over a week and called again today to be told that they weren't going to give him a refund as thought his chip and pin had been compromised and suggested he call action-fraud..
    Can't quite believe that this can happen.... Since googling it sounds like it's happening quite a lot in Manchester.
    Poor boy has been getting up at 5.00am all summer to work at Morrisons full time to save for Uni and some scumbag can steal over a months wages in less than 12 hours...!
    Any help in what to do next would be much appreciated...😔
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 17,479 Posts
    • 11,705 Thanks
    molerat
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    If the internet option was down why did he not phone and report the card stolen ? http://www.lloydsbank.com/help-guidance/customer-support/lost-or-stolen-cards.asp
    He needs to start a formal complaint. https://www.lloydsbank.com/contact-us/how-to-complain.asp
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 1st Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    Can he evidence that the website was down, do Lloyds agree that it was?
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 1st Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 8,036 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    Instead pf posting another thread on the same subject in the wrong forum, why not PM a board guide to get your thrrads merged and placed in an appropriate forum?
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 3rd Dec 17, 12:11 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    tastyhog
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:11 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:11 AM
    how did they get his pin, because they certainly didn't make £1,100 in transactions with contactless.

you sure you son didn't visit a strip club and then realise what he had done in the cold light of day.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 3rd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    how did they get his pin, because they certainly didn't make £1,100 in transactions with contactless.

you sure you son didn't visit a strip club and then realise what he had done in the cold light of day.
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    It was an ATM distraction, so somebody overlooked the entering of the PIN then took the card.
    • Sarahb22
    • By Sarahb22 4th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sarahb22
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    Sorry first time on here and not sure which forum or how to move it? Sorry just really worried ...
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    Lloyds lost and stolen is a freephone number that would have worked free on almost any phone including payphones and mobiles with no credit.

Why didn't he call up asap, if the online service was down.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 4th Dec 17, 5:19 PM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 59,812 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:19 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:19 PM
    A similar thing happened to my DD in London. Without the card she didn’t have a number, but rang me so that I could ring the bank to stop the card.

It took about 15mins, but £200went in that time.

This was before smartphones.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • FriendlyFoe
    • By FriendlyFoe 5th Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    FriendlyFoe
    The onus is on Lloyds to prove your son did authorise the transactions. At least 2 people would have looked at the activity to determine that.

1. Has he logged fraud before?
    2. How old is his account?

If he truely did not withdraw the money then it can be looked at again as a complaint.

Given that your son is 19 the ATM is more often £300 which begs the question about the remaining £800 or so.

Your son needs to make it clear how the fraudsters got his PIN
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 31,943 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    That's wrong

The onus is on the card holder to report the loss or theft of the card immediately
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 5th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    My 19 year old son who is a student in Manchester has been victim of ATM card theft.. Came out of a nightclub at 4.00am went to use ATM and was distracted by someone asking him to change 2 fivers....
    Didn't realise til he got home that his card was gone.

Ok lets be blunt...your lad came out of a nigh club at 4am and used a cash point,you dont mention how many he had,i dont know many people who come out of night clubs at 4am who can walk let alone use a cash machine safely.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 5th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 15,156 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    So how did not realise immediately that he did not have his card?? He bought it into an ATM and didn't get it back (because he was distracted and someone took it out of the machine??)
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Sarahb22
    • By Sarahb22 6th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sarahb22
    Have now managed to speak to Lloyds who say they decided on the first day he spoke to them not to to look into it as he compromised his PIN but hadn't told him this or put it in writing..
    They haven't looked at CCTV at ATMs or branch.... complaint now going into CEO of Lloyds.
    • Sarahb22
    • By Sarahb22 6th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sarahb22
    Have now managed to speak to Lloyds who say they decided on the first day he spoke to them not to to look into it as he compromised his PIN but hadn't told him this or put it in writing..
    They haven't looked at CCTV at ATMs or branch.... complaint now going into CEO of Lloyds.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th Dec 17, 10:34 PM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Originally posted by Sarahb22
    Did they speak to you about your son's account?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Sarahb22
    • By Sarahb22 7th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sarahb22
    My son spoke to them and then passed the phone to his dad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,253Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter