Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 15,611Posts
    • 127,504Thanks
    JackieO
    Supermarket biscuits are rising in price
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    Supermarket biscuits are rising in price 1st Dec 17 at 5:30 PM
    Just read online that the big supermarkets are increasing their prices in biscuits and blaming the price of butter for the increase, well I maybe a bit cynical but the price of butter has indeed risen in the past few weeks but I have a feeling that the SM are just jumping on the bandwagon as I don't think the biscuits have been made within the past month for the Christmas trade or am I wrong .I make my own at home so I'm not too bothered but for a lot of people buying a christmassy box as a present for a neighbour maybe will not bother about it anymore.

I only buy cream crackers at Christmas to have with cheese and pickles etc.I normally eat crackerbread anyway as I stopped eating sliced bread a couple of years ago as it was just too full of unknown chemicals etc
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 2
    • just trying
    • By just trying 3rd Dec 17, 2:19 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 2,765 Thanks
    just trying
    Another Salopian here with a farming background, I absolutely refuse to buy any product bearing that company's name, nor that of notsowiseman. I am a bit hamstrung by the lack of retail grocery outlets here sadly too, so cannot be as discerning as I would like regarding best prices paid to dairy farmers.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Both companies are one now I believe since muller took them over.

Right, plenty not going to agree here plenty slag people off on benefits but you would be surprised the amount farmers get, doing what they've chosen to do.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • CarlosRiv
    • By CarlosRiv 3rd Dec 17, 4:19 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CarlosRiv
    Always at Christmas and the end of the year things go up in stores, there's nothing new about it
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Dec 17, 7:42 AM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,811 Thanks
    kittie
    I never buy sm biscuits, if I have a pcket then something in them makes me eat at least half a packet, I thing it is the glucose/fructose stuff they use, anyway I never buy anything with hydrogenated fat in it. So now I have a yearning for a biscuit, sometimes only a biscuit will do with a cup of tea. I blame this thread lol, I have taken my shortbread mould down and will make butter shortbread later
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 3rd Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Then again seems a bit strange that a certain section of the population is complaining about Christmas biscuit price rises when they will get a 3% pension increase when hard working families are likely to go without any pay rise AGAIN this year.#JustSaying.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Errrm, this "certain section of the population" has earned their pension by working for a lifetime and the now-guaranteed annual increases ensure they're not continually falling behind the rest of the population as happened in the past. Not all baby boomers had it good! And don't forget, oldies are now providing (usually free) care for grandchildren and sometimes elderly parents too so they're still "working" in a sense.

And the bosses of large companies, who failed in many cases to provide adequate pensions and whom are using dodgy employment practices (tho legal) such as zero hours contracts are getting how many % pay rises/bonuses???? Possibly some deserve but most of them......???? Try living honestly on just a state pension before one comments (and, no I am not a pensioner yet but watch my older friends struggle!
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    Couldn't agree more.

To be honest the other thing that does annoy is when you read about the 'workforce' getting say 2% increase and management getting 5% or 10%. This is unfair in principle really as the 2% may only equate to say 20p/hour for 'workforce' but for 'management' it may be the equivalent of say £2K/year or more, there's no need for them to generally I think have a larger percentage as their salaries are higher anyway so they do get "more reward"

Where I worked everyone got the same % increase but, as you point out, 2% of a small salary is a lot smaller amount than 2% of a large salary.

I concur on the tins, looking around what little local shops I have there is very little apart from a sensible size shortbread type tin. The 'usual regulars' now appear in various size of cardboard boxes. , I did glance online at three supermarkets to see what they had but the situation did not appear much better, to be completely fair it is likely they might have "in the shop" but not "online"
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    Seems to be the other way round where I am Andy. I can get certain things online but not in their local store! Example: I can get basics ginger nuts online but not in store. There seem to be an awful lot of basics/cheaper items disappearing of late.

We don't buy a lot of biscuits and tend to stick with cream crackers, ginger nuts and digestives. But we do like a treat now and again so keep an eye out for when "luxury" biscuits might be on promotion.

All my cake tins were biscuit tins in a previous life and two others house sewing items and embroidery silks.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    YorksLass my sewing tin was in a previous life the tin of biscuits my late OH brought me into hospital 50 years ago when I had my eldest DD,

I too, being of a 'certain section of the population' worked from the age of 14 and paid for the pension I have of just over £8k p.a.

I have never signed on or been unemployed The only 'benefit' I collected during my lifetime was my family allowance which beck in my day was only paid for the second child and it wasn't a great deal then but I manage of my pension, and pay my way, as that is how I was brought up.

I cook from scratch and don't owe anyone a penny.I have food in the cupboard and a roof over my head which both my late OH and I worked and paid for back when the mortgage rate was 15%.I make my own biscuits as a rule but like you but cream crackers and digestives (Aldi's as a rule)

Its the impression that the big supermarkets are giving that because of the rise in butter prices that biscuits should rise too which I find objectionable as I doubt very much whether many biscuits are made with butter.I make my own shortbread biscuits and bought and froze several packets of butter back in the spring

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,811 Thanks
    kittie
    well said Jackieo, frugal as always, that is why us old schoolers are comfy in our old age, probably because we are content with less. I am not getting onto that bandwagon but let`s just say that I don`t own a mobile phone, don`t have exotic holidays, don`t have paid tv of any sort and am happy to cook from scratch. Which reminds me, I still want to make those butter shortbreads and yes, I am another who, frugally, froze lots of butter when I heard the scare story, months ago
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 4th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    YorksLass my sewing tin was in a previous life the tin of biscuits my late OH brought me into hospital 50 years ago when I had my eldest DD,JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Seems we have a lot in common, Jackie!

Ha, today I've bought some "luxury" biscuits for Christmas - on promotion, of course - and these do contain butter. It's a sharing pack of Borders biscuits, made in Scotland. And no, I don't feel at all guilty that I have them. Now firmly esconced in the pantry, they'll be consumed and enjoyed by us over the festive period.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 4th Dec 17, 11:50 PM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 57,571 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    For those seeking biscuits in tins......they had some in B&M last week. I bought Foxes, but they also had Cadbury’s.

The tins do come in useful.

I have two old tins which were my mothers, I think they are older than I am..... and I’m 66.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 5th Dec 17, 6:33 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 1,542 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    The point I'm making is that as somebody that travels a fair amount I.e. I've just returned from Bangladesh and will be in in Tokyo early next year is that food prices in the UK are CRAZY cheap compared to other countries yet people still feel the need to whine that a supermarket is ripping people off if it puts the price up in line with MASSIVE supplier price hikes.

Looking at French butter in Paris in October and it was cheaper to buy it in a London Tesco than anywhere I could find in Paris.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Dec 17, 7:39 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 27,461 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I thought that the points being made were that the supermarket was blaming the increase in price of a particular thing on item that wasn't on the list of ingredients, not the increase of price in general and also that the items were produced before the price of the ingredients rose so much. I also wouldn't have said that the OP was "whining". Any need? A comment on what other ingredient has MASSIVELY increased in price might have been useful?
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 5th Dec 17, 8:34 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 1,542 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    There you go again.... "blaming" no doubt Supermarkets felt the need to explain the (perfectly legitimate!) price increase to head off the people who automatically start whinging and whining when prices go up that supermarkets are profiteering.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 27,461 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    There you go again.... "blaming" no doubt Supermarkets felt the need to explain the (perfectly legitimate!) price increase to head off the people who automatically start whinging and whining when prices go up that supermarkets are profiteering.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    "There you go again", ahem, I think not. Where exactly did I say it the first time? I was merely wondering what other massive price hikes there were other than butter that you knew about but the people on this thread maybe hadn't noticed. I bought flour this week for instance and that isn't any dearer than it was this time last year. I still don't think anyone was whinging or whining, merely pondering if the items were made with ingredients purchased at a lesser or greater price due to the manufacturing timescale yet you seem determined to ignore that point and concentrate on the supermarkets price policy.

I'd be interested to know for instance how long it takes a packet of biscuits to reach supermarket shelves from the time of manufacture. Not because I want to complain about the price of them, but just because that's something I've never given much thought to (I don't buy them very often). To be fair I've never really thought about how long anything sits round in a warehouse until it's sent to the supermarket but if anyone knows feel free to say.

When the Republic of Ireland joined the single currency the new supermarket prices in euros bore little relation to the actual currency conversion rate from the old to the new. I suppose it's reasonable to pass on the cost of re-labelling everything and changing over tills and computer systems to the buying public but at the same time it stings a little when you are the consumer.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 5th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I'd be interested to know for instance how long it takes a packet of biscuits to reach supermarket shelves from the time of manufacture. Not because I want to complain about the price of them, but just because that's something I've never given much thought to (I don't buy them very often). To be fair I've never really thought about how long anything sits round in a warehouse until it's sent to the supermarket but if anyone knows feel free to say.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Unfortunately I think this is too much of an "open ended question" to get meaningful information as its also going to factor in supply/demand too for popular/less popular varieties of said biccies.

Given that the 'eat by' ( ! ) date can be a year or so ahead its not unreasonable to assume they are produced say anything up to three months before they appear on the shelves, given their lack of need of 'special storage' really. Its not like they need refrigeration or specific conditions other than sensible temperature range and dry environment.

I suppose it's reasonable to pass on the cost of re-labelling everything and changing over tills and computer systems to the buying public but at the same time it stings a little when you are the consumer.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Although it was a few years 'before my time' as I understand it the same / similar thing happened when we switched to decimal currency ?

In that as far as I understood it from what people were saying (this was a reasonably recent conversation as in the past couple of years) shops etc "rounded the prices up" and banks and the like "rounded things down"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

3,045Users online

Martin's Twitter