Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 15,623Posts
    • 127,615Thanks
    JackieO
    Supermarket biscuits are rising in price
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    Supermarket biscuits are rising in price 1st Dec 17 at 5:30 PM
    Just read online that the big supermarkets are increasing their prices in biscuits and blaming the price of butter for the increase, well I maybe a bit cynical but the price of butter has indeed risen in the past few weeks but I have a feeling that the SM are just jumping on the bandwagon as I don't think the biscuits have been made within the past month for the Christmas trade or am I wrong .I make my own at home so I'm not too bothered but for a lot of people buying a christmassy box as a present for a neighbour maybe will not bother about it anymore.

I only buy cream crackers at Christmas to have with cheese and pickles etc.I normally eat crackerbread anyway as I stopped eating sliced bread a couple of years ago as it was just too full of unknown chemicals etc
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 1
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 1st Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    tessie bear
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    umm does the average shop biscuit have any butter in it ? i think happy shopper say they have no animal fat in them...cheeky imo
    on the brink...
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 23,363 Posts
    • 90,795 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    Since when do they use butter? It's all hydrogenated vegetable oil.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 127,615 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    Jo Jo thats what I thought I think its just an excuse to jack the prices up
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 1st Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 107,819 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    They must think we all came down with the last shower!
    Not that I ever buy biscuits other than cream crackers in any case.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 1st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    Yes I saw that earlier too (on what passes for 'Teletext' these days) , does seem a bit of an excuse I guess.

One thing I have noticed although not exactly related it is still biscuits:

It seems more and more manufacturers are not selling the 'selection tins' as much now, at least from the ones I've seen, most of them seem to now prefer cardboard or similar packaging. You could read this as both good and bad, however the tins do have other sensible uses I still have a good tin from 2008 or something I use for storing first aid bits in.
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 1st Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 3,388 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    Shop bought biscuits are pretty awful but not everyone has the opportunity to bake their own. If you do, you will know first hand that butter has gone up in price.

As the price paid to farmers for milk is again being reduced, (starting with M*llers from January) I expect more dairy farms will be going under, leading to less milk being produced, leading to further increases in cost of butter etc etc.

Regarding tins, you are right about more cardboard packets. Also I noticed last Christmas, the tins of Scottish shortbread that I bought contained little tiny biscuits, O.K. the weight is mentioned on the tin, but the biscuits themselves were tiny. I reckon this is a cunning plan to abolish the traditional biscuit.
    Last edited by Shropshirelass; 01-12-2017 at 7:52 PM.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 1st Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    How daft can the government get? Or is it me?
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    Evening all

So reducing the price of milk = more British farmers going out of business = more imports = Britain being less self reliant = food prices going up in the UK = more folk below the poverty line.

I thought Brexit (reccomended by most of the current government) was supposed to to make us a wealthier, more independent country - or does that only apply to certain sectors of society?

Re biscuits going up in price, yes, definetley. Any excuse???

On the other hand I suppose I should be eating less of them anyhow!

Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 17,152 Posts
    • 102,552 Thanks
    maman
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    Evening all

So reducing the price of milk = more British farmers going out of business = more imports = Britain being less self reliant = food prices going up in the UK = more folk below the poverty line.

I thought Brexit (reccomended by most of the current government) was supposed to to make us a wealthier, more independent country - or does that only apply to certain sectors of society?

Re biscuits going up in price, yes, definetley. Any excuse???

On the other hand I suppose I should be eating less of them anyhow!

Nite all
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    I think the majority MPs voted to remain but now they're afraid to go against the 'will of the people ' in case they lose their seats. Instead they're prepared to let the country go to hell in a handcart. They're just making up the Brexit negotiations as they go along, reading whatever suits into a simple Yes/No vote. What a shambles!

Biscuits may be the latest con but supermarkets will continue trying to fool the public out of their hard earned.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 1st Dec 17, 10:59 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    No excuse for the price rise I suspect they are made quite a while in advance so that should mean allowing for stock/supply chains nothing should 'rise on the shelf' for a few months, well in theory.

I would bet that if the price of butter fell by a bit chunk next year for some reason, said biccies would not fall much in price.

This does remind me a little of something years back when I was growing up I can still recall chips at the local chip shop were 18p (no idea how I remember that!) anyway there was that potato issue 'back then' , mid 80's maybe a bit earlier ? , and I recall the chips were then something like 36p or 38p

I remember being told something along the lines of "now the potato issue is over, see the way the prices have not come back down"
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 1st Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 5,355 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    It takes a long while for any price increase the manufacturer has seen to reach the end consumer so yes the biscuits made months ago would have been made at a higher price to the manufacturer.

Having said that I agree that they probably don't have any butter in them!

You are right the price will not likely go down again if the price of butter drops but that is due to the fact it will then be used to offset the other price increases the manufacturer has had to absorb in the meantime.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 1st Dec 17, 11:38 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    It takes a long while for any price increase the manufacturer has seen to reach the end consumer so yes the biscuits made months ago would have been made at a higher price to the manufacturer.

Having said that I agree that they probably don't have any butter in them!

You are right the price will not likely go down again if the price of butter drops but that is due to the fact it will then be used to offset the other price increases the manufacturer has had to absorb in the meantime.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Oh I do mostly agree.

The 'other costs' well we'll never really know the bottom line as such as what the increases would of "been in theory" had butter not risen in price or horror of horrors dropped in wholesale prices.

Having said that if there was extra margin then perhaps there might (here's hoping!) more extra offers or suchlike.

I think I'm slightly miffed still its not as easy as it was even 3-4 years ago to find a 'tin' rather than a 'cardboard pack' , mind you having said that that is also a potential cost saving for them too.

I can't honestly say I've really looked into the actual butter or lack of 'content' in biscuits, I do like them but I don't tend to eat too many anyway.

Just figuring "most things in sensible moderation are OK" that's all. , that also reminds me of another new topic I still need to post, I think I'm queuing them up until I have all the decent info to hand to post them all.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Dec 17, 12:26 AM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,914 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I only buy cream crackers at Christmas to have with cheese and pickles etc.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Oh so tempting as a midnight snack. Luckily, its Christmas month and I have all three in stock
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 2nd Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 28,224 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Shop bought biscuits are pretty awful but not everyone has the opportunity to bake their own. If you do, you will know first hand that butter has gone up in price.

As the price paid to farmers for milk is again being reduced, (starting with M*llers from January) I expect more dairy farms will be going under, leading to less milk being produced, leading to further increases in cost of butter etc etc.

Regarding tins, you are right about more cardboard packets. Also I noticed last Christmas, the tins of Scottish shortbread that I bought contained little tiny biscuits, O.K. the weight is mentioned on the tin, but the biscuits themselves were tiny. I reckon this is a cunning plan to abolish the traditional biscuit.
    Originally posted by Shropshirelass
    Another Salopian here with a farming background, I absolutely refuse to buy any product bearing that company's name, nor that of notsowiseman. I am a bit hamstrung by the lack of retail grocery outlets here sadly too, so cannot be as discerning as I would like regarding best prices paid to dairy farmers.
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 2nd Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 485 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    The crazy thing is that we get food at school from Fareshare for the breakfast club and we’ve had more butter in the last few months than ever before. I can only think that people aren’t buying it because of the price and would hate to think how much must be being wasted as Fareshare only gets a small percentage of unused food.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 2nd Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Just read online that the big supermarkets are increasing their prices in biscuits and blaming the price of butter for the increase, well I maybe a bit cynical but the price of butter has indeed risen in the past few weeks but I have a feeling that the SM are just jumping on the bandwagon as I don't think the biscuits have been made within the past month for the Christmas trade or am I wrong.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Those nasty money grabbing supermarkets out to rip everybody off..... the swines.

The Financial Times in June said “Butter prices churned as market goes from shortage to meltdown”, “The price of butter has almost doubled in the last 12 months as Brexit and dairy inflation takes its toll”

Even the boss of ARLA said on the BBC in July “The UK could be facing a butter and cream shortage this Christmas, the boss of dairy giant Arla has warned”

So it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with supermarkets lining there pockets.

Then again seems a bit strange that a certain section of the population is complaining about Christmas biscuit price rises when they will get a 3% pension increase when hard working families are likely to go without any pay rise AGAIN this year.

#JustSaying.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 2nd Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    And the bosses of large companies, who failed in many cases to provide adequate pensions and whom are using dodgy employment practices (tho legal) such as zero hours contracts are getting how many % pay rises/bonuses????

Possibly some deserve but most of them......????

Try living honestly on just a state pension before one comments (and, no I am not a pensioner yet but watch my older friends struggle!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Brambleberry
    • By Brambleberry 2nd Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    Brambleberry
    Trying to find a good combination of decent biscuits and practical tin is also harder than it used to be, nothing wrong with an embossed logo, but some are hopeless shapes to reuse.

Also I treated myself to a packet of Fudges Florentines today, down to 6 in a box instead of 8. I wish they would just be honest and price them for 8, they are hardly a staple food we're all going to struggle to buy on a weekly basis, they're an occasional treat.
    Mortgage 2004: £120000 2018: £6500

Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 2nd Dec 17, 9:06 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 107,819 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Trying to find a good combination of decent biscuits and practical tin is also harder than it used to be, nothing wrong with an embossed logo, but some are hopeless shapes to reuse.
    Originally posted by Brambleberry
    Ain't that the truth? My stationery tin is in the shape of a Scottie dog; the "ears" house things like erasers and pencil sharpeners. I'm pleased to have it though; it was, when full, a gift from a dog-owner who was extra pleased with the way I took care of her dog.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 2nd Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    And the bosses of large companies, who failed in many cases to provide adequate pensions and whom are using dodgy employment practices (tho legal) such as zero hours contracts are getting how many % pay rises/bonuses????

Possibly some deserve but most of them......????

Try living honestly on just a state pension before one comments (and, no I am not a pensioner yet but watch my older friends struggle!
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    I do find this unappealing generally too, that and bosses who appear to be rewarded for failure "golden goodbye"

To be honest the other thing that does annoy is when you read about the 'workforce' getting say 2% increase and management getting 5% or 10%.

This is unfair in principle really as the 2% may only equate to say 20p/hour for 'workforce' but for 'management' it may be the equivalent of say £2K/year or more, there's no need for them to generally I think have a larger percentage as their salaries are higher anyway so they do get "more reward"

Also I treated myself to a packet of Fudges Florentines today, down to 6 in a box instead of 8. I wish they would just be honest and price them for 8, they are hardly a staple food we're all going to struggle to buy on a weekly basis, they're an occasional treat.
    Originally posted by Brambleberry
    I concur on the tins, looking around what little local shops I have there is very little apart from a sensible size shortbread type tin. The 'usual regulars' now appear in various size of cardboard boxes. , I did glance online at three supermarkets to see what they had but the situation did not appear much better, to be completely fair it is likely they might have "in the shop" but not "online"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin