Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • echo08
    • By echo08 1st Dec 17, 4:48 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    echo08
    0 WOW
    Halifax clarity
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:48 PM
    0 WOW
    Halifax clarity 1st Dec 17 at 4:48 PM
    I did the money exchange calculator thing and put collection and this card came top but just HOW do you get the money whilst still in tbe UK? I have always gone into a shop,ordered currency then gone to pick it up but havent a clue how i go about things with that card.i hope somebody can help me out.sorry for being so dim.....
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 1st Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 7,285 Posts
    • 9,015 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    You go to the airport and get on a plane to a foreign land.

When you get off the plane in that foreign land, you head to an ATM and withdraw cash from it on your Clarity card.
    • echo08
    • By echo08 1st Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    echo08
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    Thank you so much for putting it in such easy terms for an oldie like myself
    • photome
    • By photome 1st Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 12,818 Posts
    • 8,296 Thanks
    photome
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    Thank you so much for putting it in such easy terms for an oldie like myself
    Originally posted by echo08
    make sure you choose the local currency without conversion

and it is a credit card so dont forget to pay off the balance as soon as you get home.

or to save a few pennies some pay it off while still away
    • echo08
    • By echo08 1st Dec 17, 6:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    echo08
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:02 PM
    Cheers.i have always paid it off in full as soon as i get the bill
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 13,240 Posts
    • 17,457 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    I would always take a VISA card of some sort as an emergency back-up. Not all foreign ATMs accept MasterCard.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 1st Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    Cheers.i have always paid it off in full as soon as i get the bill
    Originally posted by echo08
    I think the point is that getting money from an ATM attracts interest immediately so, if you are particularly frugal, you should get online & pay it off immediately.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 2nd Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    benjus
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    I think the point is that getting money from an ATM attracts interest immediately so, if you are particularly frugal, you should get online & pay it off immediately.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Although some would say it distracts you from being on holiday, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on your accounts while away. I once had a card cloned and the maximum cash withdrawal made every day - it took 2-3 days before the transactions appeared on the account at which time I had the card stopped, but if I hadn't looked at the account I'd have had a bigger mess to clean up with the card issuer. At least it was a credit card so the money wasn't coming out of my current account.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,914 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    Although some would say it distracts you from being on holiday, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on your accounts while away. I once had a card cloned and the maximum cash withdrawal made every day - it took 2-3 days before the transactions appeared on the account at which time I had the card stopped, but if I hadn't looked at the account I'd have had a bigger mess to clean up with the card issuer. At least it was a credit card so the money wasn't coming out of my current account.
    Originally posted by benjus
    Make sure you are using a secure connection no point logging in from an unprotected internet cafe only to find that you are giving away all security to your accounts!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 2nd Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 3,883 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I would always take a VISA card of some sort as an emergency back-up. Not all foreign ATMs accept MasterCard.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I've never known anywhere take Visa but not MC (or vice versa) but at least one backup card is always a good idea. Just make sure you keep it separate from your Clarity card in case your wallet/purse is lost or stolen.

The Clarity interest rate works out at about 3p per £100 per day so I don't get too stressed about paying it off while on holiday but I typically do so when I get home before the statement date.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 2nd Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    benjus
    Make sure you are using a secure connection no point logging in from an unprotected internet cafe only to find that you are giving away all security to your accounts!
    Originally posted by silvercar
    All smartphone based these days... but yes, if you don't have a smartphone don't go logging on to your internet banking from any old computer.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Dec 17, 12:20 AM
    • 13,240 Posts
    • 17,457 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    All smartphone based these days... but yes, if you don't have a smartphone don't go logging on to your internet banking from any old computer.
    Originally posted by benjus
    Is a smartphone any more secure?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 3rd Dec 17, 12:34 AM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 13,371 Thanks
    worried jim
    If you are using an app rather than loading a web page and logging in then yes.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    • 13,240 Posts
    • 17,457 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    If you are using an app rather than loading a web page and logging in then yes.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Useful to know. Thanks.

Is this still true when using Wi-fi rather than data?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,914 Thanks
    silvercar
    Useful to know. Thanks.

Is this still true when using Wi-fi rather than data?
    So I was told.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Dec 17, 6:08 PM
    • 13,240 Posts
    • 17,457 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I've never known anywhere take Visa but not MC (or vice versa) .
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Try a Co-op bank ATM in Cyprus. Refused Clarity, Santander and Monzo. Happy with Barclaycard.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 03-12-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 3rd Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    I have just been talking to two ladies withdrawing money from Caixa bank in Los Cristianos. They had been charged £5 for a withdrawal from Santander bank.

No charge from Caixa bank.

Fortyfoot
    Last edited by Fortyfoot; 03-12-2017 at 8:10 PM.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 3rd Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 5,016 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    benjus
    Yes, it's secure because you have control over it, which is what really matters. It doesn't matter if you use an app or a web page. In both cases the data flowing between your phone and the bank is encrypted so it doesn't matter if anyone intercepts the data going over a wifi connection.

On the other hand, you have no idea what might be installed on an internet cafe computer. It could have a keylogger to record what you type, or a fake internet security certificate to allow a third party to pretend to be your bank's website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin