Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andyward82
    • By andyward82 1st Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 5Thanks
    andyward82
    Buying land from a Neighbour. How do I do this?
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    Buying land from a Neighbour. How do I do this? 1st Dec 17 at 4:31 PM
    Hello.Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum - please bump it if so...
    I live in a house on a Terraced street. It's away from the road (a terrace) and therefore has no parking. A neighbour who lives close has a very long garden. The far end of the garden is near my front door and has road acccess. I'd like to buy a small section of this garden to use as a parking space for my house. Is this a tricky and expensive procedure or not? How do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance. Andy
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 60,988 Posts
    • 356,232 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    There are a few issues to overcome:

- he'd need to "split" his deeds to separate out that piece of land from the rest of his land; this would involve any mortgage company approving it if he has a mortgage.

- you and he get a solicitor to do the transaction, it'd be typical for you to pick up the bill for the legals just to ensure you get the land you want and to remove potential barriers to you owning it through the other person not wishing to fork out money. You'd be transferring ownership of the bit of land he'd legally separated from the rest from his ownership to yours.

- once you have it, is there a dropped kerb? You need a dropped kerb to drive onto it. To get that you need to get permission from the Council (who might not give it if it were, say, on a busy road or too close to a junction, among other random reasons) .... and then you'd need to pay one of their "approved contractors" to do the work, possibly £1k is typical.
    • andyward82
    • By andyward82 1st Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    andyward82
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    Great stuff. Thank you!
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 1st Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,572 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    If the house is leasehold he will need permission of the freeholder.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 1st Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 5,208 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    What does the neighbour say about your plans?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 14,232 Posts
    • 38,557 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    What does the neighbour say about your plans?
    Originally posted by Loanranger
    Admits I was wondering about that - thinking the words "No way" would have been the first out of my mouth and the second well #deleted.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • andyward82
    • By andyward82 2nd Dec 17, 8:25 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    andyward82
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:25 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:25 AM
    Well I’ve not spoken to the neighbour yet. However, the garden is around 300 ft long. The bit I want is at the very end. They people occupying the house cannot even access this part of the garden from the house and it’s completely un-used and always has been. The house is rented out also. All of these things combined make me think perhaps they might be up for it... a quick few grand for doing nothing. All theoretical at the moment though!
    • andyward82
    • By andyward82 2nd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    andyward82
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    Why would you reply with anything offensive? Itís not like Iím asking for anything outrageous. Iím just offering to buy something of theirs. If they donít want to sell it, fine. No need for anyone to be offended is there? Cheer up!
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 2nd Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 7,196 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    If neighbour agrees draw up a simple contract with a good plan of the area to be sold, price, details of how it will be fenced off, rights to be retained by the seller, restrictions etc then both instruct solicitors to handle the transaction.

However before doing this check planning status.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 2nd Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 30,813 Posts
    • 18,419 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Let me think about this,

unused end of a 300ft garden with road access.

The owner may think parking what a good idea, handy for the new house I can build.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 2nd Dec 17, 11:07 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    ProDave
    If I had a 300ft garden with road access, there is no way I would sell 20ft of the garden and lose the road access.

I would be looking at keeping 100ft of garden for the existing house, and applying for planning permision to build a new house on the 200ft that will be split off..

I might consider renting a parking space in the mean time and sorting out a road access and dropped curb, that would help with my ultimate goal of build a new house.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 14,232 Posts
    • 38,557 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well I’ve not spoken to the neighbour yet. However, the garden is around 300 ft long. The bit I want is at the very end. They people occupying the house cannot even access this part of the garden from the house and it’s completely un-used and always has been. The house is rented out also. All of these things combined make me think perhaps they might be up for it... a quick few grand for doing nothing. All theoretical at the moment though!
    Originally posted by andyward82
    It isn't "unused" - it's just "Not used by humans" - but is doubtless very well used by wildlife (plants/birds/insects).

Oh...whoops...I forgot....people are the only ones with rights (in some peoples opinion).
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 2nd Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    eddddy
    The house is rented out also. All of these things combined make me think perhaps they might be up for it... a quick few grand for doing nothing.
    Originally posted by andyward82
    Those wouldn't be my first thoughts.

I would suspect that somebody who rents out a house is likely to be very aware of property values and property potential.

I'd suspect that they are more likely than most people to recognise the development potential of their land.

But you may get lucky.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter