Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ncl22
    • By ncl22 1st Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ncl22
    Length of service - as and when work
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    Length of service - as and when work 1st Dec 17 at 4:04 PM
    I have recently found out Iím going to be made redundant and my employer has stated that I will only be entitled to two years worth of redundancy pay (the length of time I have been in my current full-time role). However prior to this role I worked for the same company on an Ďas and whení contract for three years. There were no breaks in my work with them and I went straight from my previous role to my current one meaning I have worked for them continuously for 5 years. What are my rights regarding this?
Page 1
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 2nd Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 18,835 Posts
    • 19,146 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    What does your contract say? Contracts normally include a start date and in your case a statement which will probably say 'this employment is not continuous with any previous employment'. (Sorry for the bad news, but it's worth checking.)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 2nd Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 6,470 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    What does your contract say? Contracts normally include a start date and in your case a statement which will probably say 'this employment is not continuous with any previous employment'. (Sorry for the bad news, but it's worth checking.)
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    Though tbf even if it says it isn't continuous doesn't mean it isn't

Be interesting to see the contract details
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 2nd Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Sarastro
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    Depending on what the contract says...you still had a contract with them and no breaks: I think you're right to argue for 5 years' continuous employment unless contract specifically says otherwise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter