Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thakrsun89
    • By thakrsun89 1st Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    thakrsun89
    Mortgage Interest Payment
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    Mortgage Interest Payment 1st Dec 17 at 3:41 PM
    Hi

I'm on a fixed rate 5yr mortgage at 2.99%. I regularly over-pay my mortgage by whats available at the end of the month. I recently logged into my mortgage account online and saw that our interest rate added to our account varies each month. I assumed that as we are fixed, and I over pay, that this rate applied to what we owe would remain the same or reduce each month (albeit by a small amount). Can anybody explain to me why this amount varies please? For reference, our mortgage is with Lloyds.

Thank you
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 14,401 Posts
    • 15,197 Thanks
    zx81
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    The number of days in the month varies.

Also, as the capital reduces, unless you asked for payments to stay the same, the payments will reduce.
    • thakrsun89
    • By thakrsun89 1st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thakrsun89
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Thanks ZX81. I know the accrued interest will differ monthly but it doesn't seem to collaborate when I calculate. Also, some month, my interest applied is over £40 more than the month before, despite the capital have reduced and the days in the month being less. I know this is possibly a query for me to ask my lender, but I wanted to make sure i'm not being silly first.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 1st Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 30,837 Posts
    • 18,445 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    How much have you borrowed?

Check the day interest is added if that moves as well then it can vary by more than a days worth of interest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin