Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Markus251
    • By Markus251 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Markus251
    Newbie needing help
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    Newbie needing help 1st Dec 17 at 3:26 PM
    Hi,
    Firstly I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but it's credit card debt related.

Right, basically years ago I had a ccj against me for credit card debt ( 2005 I think). I was making regular payments as per the ccj and then all of a sudden I started getting letters almost monthly saying the debt had been sold and to make payments elsewhere etc. These letters ended up at one point contradicting each other. The amount also varied with each letter. Sometimes more and sometimes less. By about 1000 too. At this point I went to my local court to ask who to pay and they didn't know! Anyway probably a bad decision looking back, but I stopped paying as I didn't want to pay the wrong people.

I moved house in 2007 (rented) and notified all these companies of change of address etc and have always been on the electoral register. Never heard a thing from any of them. It got to the point where the ccj came off my credit file (2011 I think). In 2012 I bought my first house with my girlfriend and have good credit since then. All paperwork for old loans ccj etc have been lost/thrown away now.

Today I have come home to a letter from Mortimer Clarke that's an Intrim Charging Order. My girlfriend has the same letter yet the debts they refer to were never In joint name.

I'm just after advise on what to do now? Not even sure what it all means.

Help?

Markus
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 14,396 Posts
    • 15,187 Thanks
    zx81
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    Contact them, asking for details of the debt and when the charging order was made.
    • Markus251
    • By Markus251 1st Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markus251
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    The court paperwork they've enclosed is an Intrim Charging Order that is dated about a week ago.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 12,696 Posts
    • 12,040 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    Is the house in joint names, just yours/hers ?

An interim charging order is usually granted by the court to stop you from selling your property before the final order can be made without your creditor knowing.

If a court grants your creditor a final charging order, this means that if you sell your property, you must pay your creditor back out of the proceeds.
    There is a court process to go through which you can challenge at each stage.

If the property is held in joint names, they can only apply a restriction, not a full charging order.

This may be helpful to you :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1839539
    Last edited by sourcrates; 01-12-2017 at 4:17 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Markus251
    • By Markus251 2nd Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markus251
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    Our mortgage is in joint names whereas the original debt this letter refers to years ago was in my name only. It's so many years ago now I can't even remember who it was with and how much for etc!
    • Markus251
    • By Markus251 2nd Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markus251
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    Its still all confusing. What do I need to do at this stage? Wait until I'm sent a 'restriction' or something?
    • Markus251
    • By Markus251 4th Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markus251
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    Anymore advice on this?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,661Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin