Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 804Posts
    • 511Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    I sent money to wrong account as I used another banks sort code, doh!
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    I sent money to wrong account as I used another banks sort code, doh! 1st Dec 17 at 2:27 PM
    Today I set up two new payment beneficiaries but confused one of the two by using YBS sort code with the 'correct' Coop account number.

The payment was accepted by YBS so I guess that means the account number exists? Or it goes through a clearing bank taking a bit longer to process and if the account number doesn't exist with YBS it would be returned to my account?

Phoned my sender bank but after a long menu and inputting various details a message said there's a ten minute wait and you could phone back later so I rang off as the call would probably cost more than the few pounds sent as a test payment.

Of the money's lost too bad but interested in anyone else's experiences of a similar scenario so I can be more prepared in future.

And more careful
Page 2
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 3rd Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Good

Now,
    Originally posted by badger09
    Yes deleted!
    • Xxfixx
    • By Xxfixx 4th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Xxfixx
    Sent money to wrong Account, right sort code.
    So a few days ago I sent 1000 to the right sort code but wrong account number & after searching a few sites I know that the account is active. I've called my bank but they told me to wait 20 days. So stressed out.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 4,279 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/ to see if the account could exist.
    Originally posted by molerat
    YBS use a single NatWest sort code for everything except CHAPS/SWIFT.

This means that the modulus checks that work for normal bank accounts won't work correctly for YBS - likely giving a false positive.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 4th Dec 17, 5:27 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    YBS use a single NatWest sort code for everything except CHAPS/SWIFT.

This means that the modulus checks that work for normal bank accounts won't work correctly for YBS - likely giving a false positive.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Yes I think it was a false positive as the money was returned to my sending account next day and two days before today which was when both Halifax and YBS were due to 'look into it'.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 4th Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    So a few days ago I sent 1000 to the right sort code but wrong account number & after searching a few sites I know that the account is active. I've called my bank but they told me to wait 20 days. So stressed out.
    Originally posted by Xxfixx
    You don't have to wait 20 days to request the return of the money, it might take 20 working days for the bank to chase it up, which I hope they are now doing.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 5th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    robatwork
    You're not alone

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/banking-mistake-could-cost-fortune-13989416
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 5th Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    MABLE
    When dealing with large sums always prudent to send a token amount first.
    • LuSiVe
    • By LuSiVe 5th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    LuSiVe
    When dealing with large sums always prudent to send a token amount first.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Which for some banks is a big flashing light that you're about to commit fraud.

You can't win
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

6,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin