Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 804Posts
    • 511Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    I sent money to wrong account as I used another banks sort code, doh!
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    I sent money to wrong account as I used another banks sort code, doh! 1st Dec 17 at 2:27 PM
    Today I set up two new payment beneficiaries but confused one of the two by using YBS sort code with the 'correct' Coop account number.

The payment was accepted by YBS so I guess that means the account number exists? Or it goes through a clearing bank taking a bit longer to process and if the account number doesn't exist with YBS it would be returned to my account?

Phoned my sender bank but after a long menu and inputting various details a message said there's a ten minute wait and you could phone back later so I rang off as the call would probably cost more than the few pounds sent as a test payment.

Of the money's lost too bad but interested in anyone else's experiences of a similar scenario so I can be more prepared in future.

And more careful
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 17,483 Posts
    • 11,717 Thanks
    molerat
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/ to see if the account could exist.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,868 Thanks
    angela110660
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    We had a prob like this earlier in year with HSBC. Person mixed up numbers in their sort code which we input but account number was correct. When other person told us they hadn’t received money and we checked our bank the mistake was found. hSBC said that they might not be able to refund us as the person with the same account number at a different branch might not return it?! In the end after a long wait HSBC did refund us but we still cannot believe that account numbers are issued to more than one person. Hope you can get your money back too.
    Free films - 2009: saw 7 films. 2010 saw 7 films. 2011 saw 7 films. 2012 saw 5 films;2013:Lincoln; Les Miserables; Cloud Atlas; The Big Wedding; Summer in February;Philomena;Saving Mr Banks;2014:Jersey Boys;2015estament of Youth;
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 18,768 Posts
    • 14,479 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    ...we still cannot believe that account numbers are issued to more than one person.
    Originally posted by angela110660
    Well, you should believe it, because it's true. The only unique combination is sortcode plus account number, and it's been this way since sortcodes were introduced in the 1960s.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/ to see if the account could exist.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Yes it exists, thanks for the link.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 1st Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    Today I set up two new payment beneficiaries but confused one of the two by using YBS sort code with the 'correct' Coop account number.

The payment was accepted by YBS so I guess that means the account number exists? Or it goes through a clearing bank taking a bit longer to process and if the account number doesn't exist with YBS it would be returned to my account?

Phoned my sender bank but after a long menu and inputting various details a message said there's a ten minute wait and you could phone back later so I rang off as the call would probably cost more than the few pounds sent as a test payment.

Of the money's lost too bad but interested in anyone else's experiences of a similar scenario so I can be more prepared in future.

And more careful
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    Your bank charges you to call?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 1st Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 6,165 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    You need to speak to your bank.

Tell them the payment was made in error. They will contact the recipients bank who will contact the account holder and ask if the payment was in error. If they say it was theyll return the money. This process should take about 20-30 days and the sooner you contact your bank the better.

If they dont return the money i believe you can got to court about the issue however there is some difficulty in finding out who youre taking to court. So and this is where i dont knwo the procedure but would assume you have to go to court to get the court to tell you who the receiver was for you to be able to sue them.

Hopefully theyll just accept an error was made but you need to contact the bank as soon as possible because your bank will contact theirs and theyll inform the account holder of a believed error and encourage them not to spend it.
    Don't be angry!
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Halifax Bank do
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 1st Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 6,165 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    O is this only for a few quid?

Forget about and comfort yourself that youve shared the spirit of christmas.
    Don't be angry!
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 1st Dec 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Halifax Bank do
    Have you not got inclusive minutes? (Morphs into another topic.. but may help OP & others...)
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 1st Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    camelot1971
    Halifax Bank do
    Halifax use 03 numbers which are the same as calling someone locally. I don't think that is unreasonable.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    O is this only for a few quid?

Forget about and comfort yourself that youve shared the spirit of christmas.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Yes but I'm going to follow the process through in case I ever do the big one
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Have you not got inclusive minutes? (Morphs into another topic.. but may help OP & others...)
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    No I haven't, so its 20p connection and 14p a minute (but after midnight tonight its free for the weekend)
    • badger09
    • By badger09 1st Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5,588 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    badger09
    Yes but I'm going to follow the process through in case I ever do the big one
    Do yourself a favour and delete the incorrect payee details you have set up asap
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 1st Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Halifax Bank do
    I doubt it.

The charge is made by the telephone company you use.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Do yourself a favour and delete the incorrect payee details you have set up asap
    Originally posted by badger09
    I'm leaving it in place for now in case they can reverse/return the money. Also provides evidence of my setting up the wrong details until I get the refund, hopefully.

Already set up and tested the correct payee details
    Last edited by Yorkshire Pud; 02-12-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 2nd Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Phoned Halifax banking help desk using weekend inclusive minutes to 0345 numbers

Halifax filled in a form to be actioned on Monday and they would hope to get the money refunded through YBS within 21 working days but not guaranteed.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 2nd Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    I doubt it.

The charge is made by the telephone company you use.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Please forgive me for answering in the vernacular.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 2nd Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Phoned Halifax banking help desk using weekend inclusive minutes to 0345 numbers

Halifax filled in a form to be actioned on Monday and they would hope to get the money refunded through YBS within 21 working days but not guaranteed.
    Checked my Halifax balance this evening and the payment has been returned
    • badger09
    • By badger09 3rd Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 5,588 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    badger09
    Checked my Halifax balance this evening and the payment has been returned
    Good

Now,

Originally posted by badger09
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin