Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J332
    • By J332 1st Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    J332
    How can i protect a purchase when i can't use a card ?
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    How can i protect a purchase when i can't use a card ? 1st Dec 17 at 1:31 PM
    I've placed an order for a composite door with a Rockdoor 'trusted installer', who asked for 10% deposit by bank transfer - I had wanted to pay my deposit by credit card for the section 75 protection but the installer does not have a card machine, so no ability to take card payments.

I have transferred the 10% but is there a way in which i can protect my purchase when paying the remainder on installation ?

Is paying through paypal with my credit card a better option than bank transfer ?
Page 1
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 1st Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    Paypal does potentially give a level of protection. Bank transfers have virtually no protection.
    Who is the trader? In what way are they "trusted"?
    What concerns do you have?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 1st Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 7,692 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    As you have paid a deposit you will not get any Paypal protection on paying the remainder via Paypal as they require payments to be made in full and not as part payment or deposit. These such payments have no buyer protection.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 1st Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    Companies like this should have lines of credit with their suppliers that enable them to initiate a job without any payment from the consumer. If a company insists on a deposit (to show that the consumer is serious - and 10% is OK IMHO) then they should be able to offer a payment mechanism that affords the consumer some protection.

If a company insisted on payment in cash (bank transfer is effectively cash) then I'd find another company.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 1st Dec 17, 2:16 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:16 PM
    As you have paid a deposit you will not get any Paypal protection on paying the remainder via Paypal as they require payments to be made in full and not as part payment or deposit. These such payments have no buyer protection.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I didnt know that, useful info. Thanks.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 1st Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 30,408 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    Are you concerned as you have heard something negative or your just covering what might happen in the future ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 1st Dec 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:35 PM
    I wouldn't do business that insisted on bank transfer
    • J332
    • By J332 1st Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    J332
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    Are you concerned as you have heard something negative or your just covering what might happen in the future ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79

Just trying to give myself a level of protection if anything should happen in future.
    • J332
    • By J332 1st Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    J332
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    Companies like this should have lines of credit with their suppliers that enable them to initiate a job without any payment from the consumer. If a company insists on a deposit (to show that the consumer is serious - and 10% is OK IMHO) then they should be able to offer a payment mechanism that affords the consumer some protection.

If a company insisted on payment in cash (bank transfer is effectively cash) then I'd find another company.
    Originally posted by DoaM

Good to know, alas i have now paid a deposit.
    • J332
    • By J332 1st Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    J332
    Paypal does potentially give a level of protection. Bank transfers have virtually no protection.
    Who is the trader? In what way are they "trusted"?
    What concerns do you have?
    Originally posted by Greta Sharbo
    Rockdoor do not sell/install their doors directly, they give your details to a reputable installer in your area and you make your purchase through them. I have no issues with the installer, more wanted additional protection on the door itself (the door is covered by a 10yr warranty- which is given to the installer, as he purchases the item from Rockdoor).
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 1st Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    DoaM
    So in other words the warranty is with the installer and not Rockdoor?

If yes then the warranty is only any good if the installer remains in business (in their current trading name. If they're a Limited company and "go bust", then phoenix as a new name then the warranty is worthless).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • J332
    • By J332 1st Dec 17, 5:17 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    J332
    So in other words the warranty is with the installer and not Rockdoor?

If yes then the warranty is only any good if the installer remains in business (in their current trading name. If they're a Limited company and "go bust", then phoenix as a new name then the warranty is worthless).
    I did check this with the company who recommended "going with an installer with an insurance backed guarantee, this way if the installer is no longer trading should you have any issues you are still covered for the full 10 years."

with regard to the installer they directed to myself - he "is a part of the Trusted Rockdoor Installer scheme and as he is a registered sole trader which means he is legally required to honour the 10 year warranty regardless of whether or not he is currently trading."
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 1st Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    BoGoF
    Don't know how someone who went bankrupt , as an example, would be able to honour such a pledge.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 1st Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 2,553 Thanks
    waamo
    he is a registered sole trader
    Registered with who? I presume this means with Rockdoor as part of a scheme they have.

he is legally required to honour the 10 year warranty regardless of whether or not he is currently trading.
    I'm guessing this means he has signed a contract with Rockdoor agreeing to that? It isn't really clear what they mean. My immediate thought is how on earth could they force him to honour it if he goes out of business or moves abroad or simply can't be found?

I, like others, wouldn't entertain the idea of paying by bank transfer.
    This space for hire.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 1st Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 11,600 Posts
    • 8,735 Thanks
    unholyangel

I'd second this. I had new doors installed recently and none of the companies/traders I received quotes from wanted any payment upfront.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • rikbar
    • By rikbar 2nd Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    rikbar
    Hi there,

we had a door installed and used their website to be put in touch with a 'trusted' installer. The original company that we had been put in touch with went into liquidation during the process and we had a bit of a pain with the whole transaction.

In the end we had to phone Rockdoor to get their assistance in working out what was going to happen with the order, as we too had a deposit paid, although we were able to use the Amex to pay it.

It transpired that one of their fitters had set up after the original company went under and he honoured the purchase and fitted the door. Communication throughout was poor and we were left at many times wondering what was going on and whether the door would appear.

We are happy with the finished item, after a lot of hassle, and were given a discount at the end to reflect the issues we had. I would not pay anything more until the door is fitted to your satisfaction if they will not let you use a card for additional protection.
    • J332
    • By J332 4th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    J332
    Thanks everyone,
    Its caused me many a sleepless night thinking about what you have all said- i can only see my course of action being to ask for the deposit back and to pay in full via paypal once I am happy with the installation.

The installer seems like an agreeable chap (he did give me the option of paying in full once installation was complete, so my fault acting in haste and not sleeping on it before making payment). No harm in asking is there ?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 7,692 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Sorry, I should have elaborated on my first comment regarding Paypal and the deposit.....

Paypal will not cover your purchase even if you pay in full, as it will be deemed a custom made purchase.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

3,045Users online

Martin's Twitter