Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noybbb
    • By noybbb 1st Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    noybbb
    Is the solicitor liable? Failure to advise me
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    Is the solicitor liable? Failure to advise me 1st Dec 17 at 1:29 PM
    Hello everyone, just looking for a bit of advice.

I completed on a purchase 2 months ago as a first time buyer, and am yet to receive my help to buy ISA from my solicitor.
    This morning I called her and it turns out that the ISA bonus cant be claimed because I closed my ISA account 4 days after completion. Apparently the ISA has to be closed before completion...
    My solicitor never told me this before completion... in fact in a previous phone call she told me that the ISA can be claimed up to 12 months after completion, and made no mention of when the ISA account needs to be closed. So based on this conversation I assumed there was no rush in getting the account closed before completion which is why I closed it 4 days after completion.
    For the past 2 weeks I have sent multiple emails to my solicitor regarding this and they have all been ignored. However, in this time other emails relating to other matters have received replies. Can this be considered as an admission of guilt (or something similar)?

Is the solicitor at fault here? Has she failed to advise me properly? Or is my ignorance at fault? I would expect the solicitor to advice me and look out for my interests in the appropriate way, especially as a first time buyer... This is what she has been hired to do.
    Is there anything I can do to get my ISA bonus? Can I realistically expect compensation?

I've also been trying to get the search results from her... after completion I know, perhaps irresponsible of me. But she never talked to me about these before or sent them to me. She will not send them to me and is ignoring all emails on this matter too.

Thank you.
Page 1
    • Niv
    • By Niv 1st Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    Niv
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    why are you producing duplicate threads?
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin