Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 2,077Posts
    • 953Thanks
    Chrysalis
    ebay restricting choice of carriers now
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    ebay restricting choice of carriers now 1st Dec 17 at 1:17 PM
    Just put something up for sale and I see ebay now pushing their own delivery service as a default option, and couriers like hermes and special delivery are no longer options.

For hermes I have to select a generic 3-5 day delivery option, and is no suitable option for next day special delivery so had to put in description.

whats going on with ebay, seems to be on a mission to implode itself. As the sell page is a mess now as well.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 1st Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 59,575 Posts
    • 42,280 Thanks
    soolin
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    Just put something up for sale and I see ebay now pushing their own delivery service as a default option, and couriers like hermes and special delivery are no longer options.

For hermes I have to select a generic 3-5 day delivery option, and is no suitable option for next day special delivery so had to put in description.

whats going on with ebay, seems to be on a mission to implode itself. As the sell page is a mess now as well.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    Shutl includes Royal Mail postage so that can be added. Also, I haven't seen any of the new formats (and ebay have several different versions) that don't allow sellers to add more than one option of any sort, all my accounts still allow me to show 2nd class or Shutl for the free option plus Royal mail and special delivery as extras.

Also only having one Shutl option wouldn't work for sellers who get the TRS discount as we need both a free option and a guaranteed fast option.

One thought I have is whether you are using the quick listing tool which limits just about everything- try opting for the other listing version.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 1st Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 11,417 Posts
    • 7,683 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    Shutl are agents for eBay postage, which includes RM, Hermes, UPS and Collect Plus. Just select the Shutl service and click the date option that suits the carrier you are going to use.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    So how do I "not" use the quick listing tool, as I dont see an option, as for the agents thing its just all weird.

For royal mail I can pick 1st, 2nd class. 1st, 2nd class recorded, and 48 hour royal mail. No 24 hour royal mail, and no special delivery.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 1st Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Dox
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    Switch to the advanced listing tool (top right hand corner once you start the process of listing an item) and you'll get the full range of postage options.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    All I see at the top right is "change listing preferences".
    • soolin
    • By soolin 1st Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 59,575 Posts
    • 42,280 Thanks
    soolin
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    All I see at the top right is "change listing preferences".
    try that, you need to get the full listing page back.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    There is nothing there in "change listing preferences" to enable full listing.

It just sets default options like days before dispatch etc.

It simply seems ebay has forced this on me with no way to revert. Maybe you guys as commercial sellers are given more customisation.

Right I tried to a new advert, and it says "switch to advanced view" at top right, so that worked.

I now see the proper page again and all the delivery options. The page they pushing onto people as default hides a lot of the carriers which I think is wrong.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 01-12-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 1st Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Dox
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    No - I'm a private seller and have the full range of options, accessed as described. Try googling on 'switch to ebay advanced listing tool' to see if that helps.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I edited post, finally got it to work, thanks.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 1st Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,005 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    As a buyer this is not helpful to me.

I'm at work all day so look for RM deliveries as they are taken to the sorting office where I can collect up to 8pm in the evening. I will risk Hermes for a low value item but have had trouble with other carriers in the past.

If I can't see what method of post people are going to be using it will put me off buying.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 1st Dec 17, 6:11 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Dox
    As a buyer this is not helpful to me.

I'm at work all day so look for RM deliveries as they are taken to the sorting office where I can collect up to 8pm in the evening. I will risk Hermes for a low value item but have had trouble with other carriers in the past.

If I can't see what method of post people are going to be using it will put me off buying.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Not sure what your beef is - as indicated above, the seller (private or business) can specify the method of delivery.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 2nd Dec 17, 1:02 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Iammumroone, my advert is now fixed following getting access to the proper sell page.

So specifically lists hermes and special delivery as options now for my buyer, instead of me having to put in the description.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 5th Dec 17, 5:48 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I just noticed when viewing my ad, click and collect from argos is available yet I have not added that as a delivery option, any idea why?

Fixed the argos, seems it was ticked although I never ticked it specifically.

Hermes seems uncompetitive now days.

Having to charge £8 for hermes vs £11.50 for special delivery. Considering the difference between the two I would expect a bigger price gap.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 05-12-2017 at 5:52 AM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    • 11,417 Posts
    • 7,683 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I just noticed when viewing my ad, click and collect from argos is available yet I have not added that as a delivery option, any idea why?

Fixed the argos, seems it was ticked although I never ticked it specifically.

Hermes seems uncompetitive now days.

Having to charge £8 for hermes vs £11.50 for special delivery. Considering the difference between the two I would expect a bigger price gap.
    Hermes and Special Delivery cannot be compared at all and even if they could some people would not pay 10p difference.

Why aren't you using UPS via Shutl? That is less than £6 for up to 10kg and is 24 hour (depending on when you drop it off).
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 5th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Because I dont want to drop it off, I want pickup from my door.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,607Posts Today

7,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin