Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cre8toruk
    • By cre8toruk 1st Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    cre8toruk
    The Energy Price Problem
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    The Energy Price Problem 1st Dec 17 at 1:12 PM
    Hi All,
    I've recently had another run in with another energy provider (Octopus) this last month, as they sent me a bill that made no sense whatsoever, despite claims on their website of clear easy to understand billing.

I've given them 3 attempts to explain why their bills specifies my actual usage and then underneath it their estimate of my usage but based on a 37 day billing time frame. They've then used their estimate to base my bill on. Everytime they try and explain it they give me a different and as I've proven, incorrect answer.

In fact their estimate of my nightime rate usage i.e. usage after 12am, is double what my actual usage is or has every been as I keep meticulous records because I know they're all lying scumbags intent on separating me from my money, sorry but they are!

So I jumped on the mse's energy club thing and got some competitive quotes, which when I say competitive I mean a few £ either way difference. Trouble is when you drill into this you discover that when you look at the tarriff rates these are pretty much the same but the standing charge varies wildly sometimes by as much as 10p per day. What I'd like to see is a list of the best per unit tarrif charges but I don't seem to be able to get that information.

So while some are offering me a cheaper overall bill I could be paying 10p more a day for my standing charge a bit like vodaphone abolishing their line rental when actually all they did is fold it into their charges...

So MSE here's my challenge, provide us with a list of the cheapest tariffs all nice in a table... so i can see what I'm paying for... e.g DAY RATE, NIGHT RATE, STANDING CHARGE.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 1st Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 9,949 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    See an identical post on here re showing standard charges etc .
    • frankie
    • By frankie 1st Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    frankie
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    where? can't seem to find it.
    • macman
    • By macman 1st Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    Why would you need this info? All comp sites , including CEC, tell you the total cost per year, including the s/c's. That's the only figure that matters.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 1st Dec 17, 6:16 PM
    • 27,109 Posts
    • 13,222 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:16 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 6:16 PM
    they're all lying scumbags intent on separating me from my money, sorry but they are!
    Originally posted by cre8toruk
    To use this type of terminology because you disagree with their billing method is way over the top.

So while some are offering me a cheaper overall bill I could be paying 10p more a day for my standing charge a bit like vodaphone abolishing their line rental when actually all they did is fold it into their charges...

So MSE here's my challenge, provide us with a list of the cheapest tariffs all nice in a table... so i can see what I'm paying for... e.g DAY RATE, NIGHT RATE, STANDING CHARGE.
    I have absolutely no idea what you mean!

When you give your consumption in kWh, your 'cheapest overall bill' will include the daily standing charge(DSC) regardless of it being 1p a day or £1 a day so it doesn't matter if the DSC is 1p or £1.

If MSE, and nearly every other comparison website, give you an annual quote of, say, £1000 you can easily find out that day rate costs Xp/kWh, night rate costs Yp/kWh, Daily standing charge is Zp a day in addition you are told if there is a discount for dual fuel or payment by direct debit.

So your 'challenge' is absolutely pointless!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,958Users online

Martin's Twitter