Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James Pick86
    • By James Pick86 1st Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    James Pick86
    Bogus Energy bill
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    Bogus Energy bill 1st Dec 17 at 11:46 AM
    Hi,

Long time reader first time poster

To set the scene, myself and my wife moved to the opposite side of the country for work a few years back in the middle of the housing slump. So we decided to rent out our home and wait until the housing prices picked up. So we had a tenant in the property for nearly 2 years. They moved out in May 2015 and gave their meter readings to the energy supplier. We then decided to sell the property but as we were living away the property had to stay vacant and was insured that way with one of the terms and conditions being that all water, electricity and gas was isolated. This was isolated at all of the entry points inside the house stop !!!!, Consumer unit (under stairs), etc. This was done by a family member who was in the area, on the Sunday after the Tenants leaving on the Friday.

Unfortunately as we were selling at a distance we did the school boy error of not getting the meter readings as we were not there. We were sent a paper copy of them but I can't find them now, I do have the readings that the Tenant provided though on the day they moved out..

We then sold the property in Nov of 2015. All was good until May of 2017 when we received a letter from a Debt recovery agency acting on behalf of Spark energy saying that we owed them £1,444.43!! We contacted the Debt recovery agency to try and get an understanding of it and they said that this bill covered a period from April 2015 through to April 2017. We proved to them that we sold the property in Nov 2015 and I fully accept that I am liable for any connection charges from the May 2015 through to Nov 2015 as we were legally liable for the property. They have told me that this figure is generated from Spark Energy's estimated bill for the period. After providing all of these details in May 2017 and told by the debt recovery agency that they thought that there had been an error that they would get back to us with the final number. I had also chased them every Friday for about a month. But no contact from them.

Subsequently this week a second debt agency has been in contact with Me claiming the £1,444.43!!!

Does anyone know what my rights are here?

I'm very stressed about this at the moment, Spark don't seem to acknowledge the sold date (Proven with bill from solicitor). Also it seems like they have just plucked a number out of the air with their estimated charge and are applying the pressure through a debt recover agency.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    James
Page 1
    • Spark Energy: Jenny
      Verified User verified user
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 1st Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Spark Energy: Jenny
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    Hi James

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Can you please contact me using the details on my profile? I can put a stop to any Collections activity and find out what's happened before coming back to you with a full response.

I'll be out of the office after 2pm today but I'll pick up your email as soon as I return if I don't hear from you before I finish.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 1st Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,646 Posts
    • 2,816 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    We then decided to sell the property but as we were living away the property had to stay vacant and was insured that way with one of the terms and conditions being that all water, electricity and gas was isolated. This was isolated at all of the entry points inside the house stop !!!!, Consumer unit (under stairs), etc. This was done by a family member who was in the area, on the Sunday after the Tenants leaving on the Friday.
    Originally posted by James Pick86
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Isolated is not the same as disconnected and if the meters were left in situ then you are liable for the daily standing charges. Clearly, this will not amount to the amount being claimed and this, I fear, is your problem. To get out of the 'hole' you will need to provide the supplier with Proof of Sale of the property in November 2015. The supplier will then re-calculate the bill and look for A N Other to pay for the period Nov 15 to May 17. By the sound of it, the purchaser of the property failed to contact the existing supplier when they moved in.
    • macman
    • By macman 1st Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    Spark frequently acquire accounts via a letting agent's referral. Did you use an LA? As Hengus correctly points out, you will be liable for standing charges for those seven months, but given that you know the exact number of days, it will be very simple to calculate your actual liability.
    Sadly your credit record may already have been trashed, so I would check that as a priority.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter