Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • siggy2k1
    • By siggy2k1 1st Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    siggy2k1
    VCS/BW Legal - Final Notice
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    VCS/BW Legal - Final Notice 1st Dec 17 at 11:45 AM
    Hi all,

I've read around the pages on here but can't find anything quite like the situation I am in and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

In November 2016 I got a letter through the post from VCS regarding a PCN for parking in a private residential car park without displaying a valid permit.

I ignored the initial letters but a month ago I received a letter from BW Legal saying that I owed £160 or I would be taken to court etc.

In their letter it says to go to their site and login to the customer portal, however on trying to do this their site is broken and the portal is not accessible.

I sent them an email explaining that their site didn't work.

I also explained that there was mitigating circumstances to parking there. The space in question belongs to my parents flat. At the time my dad had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and my mum was looking after him at home which meant that myself and the family would go over to help when needed or take my dad to or from the hospital.

My parents didn't own a car and so we would share the permit which was left at my parents house.

Upon parking there the driver would either go and help my dad to/from the car to the flat or get the parking permit to display if they would be any longer.

I can only assume that the parking fine was issued when either the driver was getting the permit to display or fetching/taking my dad to/from the flat.

I never received a response to my email but have just received a final notice letter saying I hadn't replied or paid the fine and that they would be taking this to court.

I once again replied by email (their website is still not working) with an attachment of the email I originally sent.

Can anyone advise on if I've done the correct thing or what I should expect next?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by siggy2k1; 04-12-2017 at 6:53 PM.
Page 1
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 1st Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    No, you gave away the driver. With VCS this removes one point of defence

Assuming it states they WILL issue court papers, please confirm whether this meets the requirements of the new Pre Action Protocol for debt claims, valid from October 1st this year. If not ,respond back demanding they comply.
    • siggy2k1
    • By siggy2k1 1st Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    siggy2k1
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    Thanks for your quick reply. I've never actually said who the driver was in my email to them, just that "we" (myself and my partner both have use of the car) had to go to the flat at times.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 1st Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    OK, it seemed like you had/ Edit your first post to hide this entirely - "the driver" did everything on the day. You are the keeper

Please answer all questions.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 2nd Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    You should read the Pace v Lengyl case which concerned a visitor there by invite of the resident who did not display a permit. Seems the closest to your circumstances.
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

3,045Users online

Martin's Twitter