Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 1st Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 80Posts
    • 45Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Spark Energy customers chased for payment by debt collectors BEFORE...
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    MSE News: Spark Energy customers chased for payment by debt collectors BEFORE... 1st Dec 17 at 11:24 AM
    Spark Energy customers have been contacted by a debt collector telling them they were in arrears – days in advance of when payments were due...
    Read the full story:
    'Spark Energy customers chased for payment by debt collectors BEFORE bills are due'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 01-12-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 1st Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    Quote: A spokesperson for Spark Energy said: “A small amount of customers may have received a slightly concerning communication from our partner Opos. We offer our full reassurances that this wasn’t a debt collection notice nor will it impact upon anybody’s credit rating. Unquote

From Opos' website:

Opos is a leading provider of debt collection and BPO services in the banking, utility, telecoms and retail finance sectors. We provide consumer and commercial collections expertise to a number of Key Clients within the United Kingdom, from our state of the art service centre in West Dumbartonshire.

If it looks like a duck; quacks like a duck.....
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 1st Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    When I worked for an energy provider Spark energy were by far the worst provider I ever encountered. Riddled with errors and flouting rules, for example if a customer wanted to leave them they used to object (which there are only supposed to if there is a balance owing already) then tell the customer to give a meter reading so they could bill them and insist they paid that before they let them leave.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 1st Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    No wonder I won't switch away from my 'Big Six' provider.......
    • gman41
    • By gman41 1st Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gman41
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    people's energy is the way forward!

Check them out!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 1st Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    people's energy is the way forward!

Check them out!
    Originally posted by gman41
    Based on what criteria?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 2nd Dec 17, 12:24 AM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:24 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:24 AM
    No wonder many have concerns about switching to the smaller suppliers.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 8,767 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    No wonder I won't switch away from my 'Big Six' provider.......
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    Some of the big 6 practices are not too good.

Do your research. I'm not going to name companies in this thread but several of the smaller companies have customer service better than anything the Big 6 can provide, and they're cheaper.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/04/smaller-energy-firms-still-top-for-customer-service-mse-poll-finds
    Last edited by fatbelly; 02-12-2017 at 9:40 AM.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 2nd Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    Some of the big 6 practices are not too good.

Do your research. I'm not going to name companies in this thread but several of the smaller companies have customer service better than anything the Big 6 can provide, and they're cheaper.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/04/smaller-energy-firms-still-top-for-customer-service-mse-poll-finds
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    That may be so, and I'm not disputing it, however, I've been with Npower for several years and I've not suffered any of the apparent 'horror stories' that some customers have. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say, Npower have been excellent in my own case, but then, I have always provided monthly meter readings so my bills are always correct and what I 'expect' them to be. Furthermore, I fixed with Npower in June last year for two years, I'm currently on one of the cheapest dual fuel tariffs in the country, not a single smaller indpendent company can come anywhere near what I'm currently paying. Unfortunately, that will all come to an abrupt end in June 2018 and for the first time in years I may have to switch, but I assure you, I will be choosing very wisely and after plenty of research.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 2nd Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . but then, I have always provided monthly meter readings so my bills are always correct and what I 'expect' them to be.
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    And that's the way to do it girls and boys.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 2nd Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Caddyman
    It seems though, we can trot out the advice about being proactive and providing monthly meter readings until the cows come home, but some people doggedly refuse to help themselves or rather bizarely, use the most common excuse trotted out, 'I have a very busy life, I don't have time for things like that'. A very good friend of mine has almost finished paying of a 1k energy bill built up over 14 months because not once did they or their provider bother to take any meter readings. When my friend decided one day a few months back to actually bother to check and submit a reading, they were in utter shock when the correct bill came through. In their own words, 'I can't believe my own stupidity. I won't be that foolish again'. Thankfully, my friend avoided a visit from the bailiffs. My neighbours a couple of doors away, not so lucky, house broken into under Warrant by their energy provider and force fitted pre-payment meters. Perks of living in a 'Buy to Let' property where the tenants up and leave without paying the bills.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 2nd Dec 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    On the Spark topic, my money is on Spark Energy going bust before too long. I will be avoiding them like the plague.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

1,161Users online

Martin's Twitter