Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jimmyjamwhambam
    • By Jimmyjamwhambam 1st Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Jimmyjamwhambam
    Stamp duty...first time buyer(sort of!...)
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    Stamp duty...first time buyer(sort of!...) 1st Dec 17 at 11:19 AM
    Hi wondering if people can help?

About to buy a house and I own a house(currently for sale) and my fiance doesn't

Can we put the property with just her name on the deeds and both our names on the mortgage to get around the stamp duty payment on the property?

is that fraud basically or will the lawyers let us do that?

Thank you
Page 1
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 1st Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    For the sake of a few thousand, why would you put yourself into the position of not having a legal standing on a house you are paying for?
    And, as far as I know, it is not possible on a mortgaged property where you are also on the mortgage terms.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • Jimmyjamwhambam
    • By Jimmyjamwhambam 1st Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jimmyjamwhambam
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    well its £5000, so hardly insignificant! We will be married in a few months so I would then have full entitlement to half of the property.

But if it's not possible then thank you for letting me know.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 1st Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 32,374 Posts
    • 17,379 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    'Joint borrower, sole proprietor' is an option.

It would leave you with 100% of the liability and none of the beneficial ownership. This enables you to avoid the SDLT.

Speak to an independent broker about the options. This only works before you are married.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Jimmyjamwhambam
    • By Jimmyjamwhambam 1st Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jimmyjamwhambam
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    Yeah I do realise it is risky but we have business together and other joint costs so I have to hope that in the 2-3 months before we are married that she won't screw me over!

Thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

6,823Users online

Martin's Twitter