Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Argyt
    • By Argyt 1st Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Argyt
    Microsoft Money investment transactions
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    Microsoft Money investment transactions 1st Dec 17 at 11:18 AM
    Hi, I have been using MS Money for many years but have suddenly hit a problem entering investment buy and sell transactions. If I enter one, Money stops working. If I delete an existing transaction, I can enter one new one, but if I enter another one, Money stops working. I can enter other (e.g. bank) transactions without problems. It is as if there is a limit to the number of investment transactions but I don't think there is supposed to be such a limit. I am using the 2005 release. Any help very welcome.
Page 1
    • le loup
    • By le loup 1st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    le loup
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    I have not met this problem and I have a lot of investment transactions.
    I'm using the same release on Windows 10.
    If I were you I'd delete the program and reload it.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 1st Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    When was the last time you archived? If you haven't, how many years have you been running MS Money?

Not sure if there are limits due to MS Money being a 32-bit application and whether it is possibly using SQL-Lite (or whatever it was called back in the day) as the database and it has hit some limit? (just guessing here)

Perhaps make a copy of your file in another folder, open up the copy, either archive data for a period of time or delete a number of investment entries and see how many more fictitious entries you can re-add. If you delete 10 and can only re-add 10 in this copied file then it appears you may have hit some limit.

EDIT: According to MS Money support page there aren't any limits.
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 01-12-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • wmb194
    • By wmb194 1st Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    wmb194
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    If you haven’t already tried it make a backup and try the ‘Repair Money File’ options - quick and standard - in the file menu. Sometimes this fixes whatever issues it’s having.
    • Argyt
    • By Argyt 2nd Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Argyt
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    I ran CHKDSK which appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your replies everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter