Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andre_xs
    • By andre_xs 1st Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 89Posts
    • 21Thanks
    andre_xs
    Urgent: Patio door jammed locked
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    Urgent: Patio door jammed locked 1st Dec 17 at 10:45 AM
    The door from our living room to our garden is an older sliding door, aluminium frame. It has a round key to lock and unlock it, and above the handle with the keyhole is a little slider which can be moved from right to left and back.

Since today we can't unlock the door any more, the key won't turn. We have the suspicion that the builders who are currently in our house moved the little slider at the top (which we never uesd so far). Unfortunately, we can't move the slider, it's somehow stuck in place.

We already unscrewed everything, used WD40 etc. It can be wiggled a bit, so I don't think it is rusty or so.

First, am I right to assume that this little top slider blocks the main lock so that the key can't be turned / or locks the door separately (without needing the key)? So that this actually is the issue?

Second, are there any tips how we can open the door again before calling a locksmith?

The door is currently closed/locked, i.e. we can't get to the lock from the side of the door, we can only remove the handles.
    Last edited by andre_xs; 01-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 1st Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    What's the urgency? Are you trapped?

We could do with some photos. I can't picture it from your description but it sounds similar to our patio doors, so post a photo and I may be able to help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter