Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KBB13
    • By KBB13 1st Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    KBB13
    One Parking Solution
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    One Parking Solution 1st Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Hello,

I'm a student at University of Brighton.
    I applied for a permit to park on the grounds as I'm disabled and can't use public transport, I got an email in reply from the parking office at uni stating that they had a lot of requests and it will take a while to process. I thought nothing more of it until I got a parking ticket. That day I phoned the parking office and stated I'd applied but heard nothing, and got a ticket, so the office issued me with a temporary permit to use until they could issue a permanent one.
    The next day I used the temporary permit to park in exactly the same place and I got another ticket. They had changed the signs over night to state that no one could park there.
    I admit liability for the first ticket and I will pay it because I wasn't displaying a valid ticket but the second one is grinding my gears because I had a permit but the signs had changed without any warning overnight. The signs all look quite similar.

I appealed both but they have just rebuked both appeals stating I was not parking under the correct conditions.

I'm just looking for advice, should I take the appeal further?

Thanks,
    Kate
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 1st Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 59,594 Posts
    • 42,289 Thanks
    soolin
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    Have a read of the sticky newbies thread first and then come back if you have any additional questions.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 1st Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 6,473 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    Director Val St John Capon, 62, of Selden Lane, Patching, was discharged conditionally for six months and must pay £15 victim surcharge, £517.15 costs, after being found guilty of being the director of a company known by the prohibited name Assured Security Guarding between May 7, 2014, and September 9, 2016, while subject to the Insolvency Act 1986.

Read more at: https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/crime/hm-courts-service-results-list-for-february-6-to-10-2017-1-7834677

So do the exotically named Mr Capon and his co-director, Mark Lynch have criminal records I have to ask?

See also http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?320857-Help!-Parking-Ticket-Swizz/page5
    Last edited by The Deep; 01-12-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 1st Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 2,917 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    Hi, and welcome to the forum ....

"I admit liability for the first ticket and I will pay it because I wasn't displaying a valid ticket"

please please do nothing until you have had a read through the newbies thread as suggested above ...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

there will be so many good and valid reasons for you to fight this ...

Ralph
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 1st Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 6,473 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    This company has little legitimacy and is a well known scammer. Why not fight it and cost them money.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 1st Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    Indeed, just fight them. Easy enough
    The university is required to make reasonable adjustments on grounds of disability. EA2010. Rmeind them of them and tell them to cancel the tickets - as they hired this company, they are responsible for them, and responsible for this companies harassment of a disabled student covered by the EA2010.
    • KBB13
    • By KBB13 1st Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KBB13
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    I already appealed their charge and they know I'm the driver. What can I do?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 1st Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    Tell teh uni to cancel the charge. Their admin issues do not excuse their failure, and that of their agents, to abide by their obligations under the EA2010.

Have you read the newbies thread? Yes or No. We mean READ, not skimmed.
    • KBB13
    • By KBB13 3rd Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KBB13
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    I skimmed it. I shall read it now.

Thanks for your help
    • KBB13
    • By KBB13 3rd Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KBB13
    Hello,

I just sent an email to the parking department at my uni based on your advice.

When I get a reply I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Kate
    • KBB13
    • By KBB13 4th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KBB13
    I got an email this morning from the parking department at the uni.
    They have cancelled both "parking charges". What a result!
    They stated that One Parking were well within their rights to give me a parking charge but because I had applied for a permit and nothing had been done they would cancel both charges.

Thanks!
    • RustyRascal
    • By RustyRascal 4th Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RustyRascal
    I admit liability for the first ticket and I will pay it because I wasn't displaying a valid ticket
    Never give up at the first hurdle! Great result....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin