Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DD2580
    • By DD2580 1st Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DD2580
    Debt urgent help
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    Debt urgent help 1st Dec 17 at 9:32 AM
    Hi - not really sure what area to post this in, so positing in a few, here goes!

I need some urgent advice. I have found myself out of a job since end of October. My line of work is secretarial and is on a contract basis, and usually go from job to job, mostly 1 year + contracts so have always been fine. this is the first time I am without a job and have made my last pay, and some small savings to last until now, and now I am running low and worrying that my bills wont get paid and don't know where to start. In the new year things wil be easier to get a contract it generally is this time of year so I don't know if its possible to freeze such things like credit cards. I'm listing my outgoings below.

1 credit card 0% int - monthly min £45
    1 credit card 0% int - monthly min £ 40
    1 credit card, (BCARD) int I am unsure right now but monthly min is £130
    car insurance - £65
    Mobile phone - £45
    Mobile insurance - £10

Is it possible to "freeze" your credit cards for a period of time until I get another job?
    I don't know what to do, want to sit and ring them all up today and have some sort of plan to help me over this few months just until mid / end Jan I think. I just want some advice first, scared to ring and say I don't have a job!

luckily living with parents so not needing to worry about rent etc but they are not in good shape financially either so can't ask for help.

please help me

Danni
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 14,395 Posts
    • 15,186 Thanks
    zx81
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    Speak to the lenders.

There will be a price to pay in terms of your credit file if you default or go onto an arrangement, but if you don't have a choice, then you don't have a choice.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 1st Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    Please do not post the same thread in multiple boards, it creates confusion.

This is a thread for the DFW board really, as especially you may need to find ways to deal with this if getting a job proves tougher than expected.

I'll close this one, please stick to the thread in the DFW board.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt Free Wannabe, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin