Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sarahalexandra123
    • By sarahalexandra123 1st Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sarahalexandra123
    Halifax MORTGAGE NIGHTMARE
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    Halifax MORTGAGE NIGHTMARE 1st Dec 17 at 8:58 AM
    Hi

Please can someone help.
    My partner recently decided to sell his home (mortgaged through Halifax for five years) and buy bigger house. He found a buyer for his property and we found our next house. He was granted a new Halifax mortgage. We found a buyer and our offer was accepted. However as we found out the very day all parties were due to exchange contracts, the Halifax mortgage had been awarded incorrectly and ‘against Halifax’s terms.’ The Halifax underwriter had made a mistake (Halifax’s words, not mine) and had granted us a mortgage offer based on us retaining the existing property. This was never the intention and totally against Halifax’s terms, but none the less the mortgage offer was deemed to be completely invalid. Halifax offered us pitiful compensation in the form of £200 or so towards solicitor’s fees, and they admitted their error. Mistake number one. We lost our buyers, and we lost our original house.

Anyway, we reapplied for our mortgage with Halifax, or rather, Halifax assured us that they would amend the mortgage offer to what they would agree to ( I e that we sell the first property.) This is what we had originally asked for and what we intended to do, and true to their word, Halifax seemingly did. Happy days, we proceeded to purchase. We found buyers for our house and we found a new house. All parties exchanged contracts on Tuesday 28th November. It is now, Friday, 1st December, completion is due to take place today- and Halifax say that they will not release the funds. Why? Because THEY HAVENT AMENDED OR APPROVED OUR MORTGAGE OFFER. They say that we have no mortgage offer.

My partner is currently literally ill with worry and stress that he will sell his house, as his buyers have exchanged and are moving in today, but we will be homeless as Halifax have made a mistake yet again. He doesn’t know I am writing but he is extremely concerned and despondent. To make matters worse, he is a site manager on a huge commercial construction site and so extremely busy in the day. If someone tries to call him, they might need to try a couple of times to get through to him. The mortgage is in his name, not mine, as I started a dog daycare business and so wasn’t eligible. My partner has had a Halifax mortgage for 5 years. He has never missed a payment and he, as a satisfied customer, has recommended the bank to friends and family. Myself and my mum,have banked with Halifax for a combined 40 years. We are so upset and distressed by Halifax letting us at the last minute yet again. Please can anyone help at all? Halifax customer services may not even get to respond to our complaint (this letter!) today!!!!! We will literally be homeless!!!
    What do we do? Halifax complaints may not even be able to respond to us today?

Sarah
Page 1
    • Coconut01
    • By Coconut01 1st Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Coconut01
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    Duplicate thread?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5753290
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 1st Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 32,360 Posts
    • 17,371 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    Yes. And on Mortgage & Endowments as well.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,599Posts Today

7,478Users online

Martin's Twitter